Broadband costs slashed

zone8
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

yeppy Smiley
37 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband costs slashed

UKonline has slashed their prices for B/B uncapped http://www.vnunet.com/news/1162408

that will put the cat amongst the pidgeons.
slev
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

Some nice prices there but it is only for exchanges using their equipment.

Just entered my details and got.....

Our network covers 4.4 million UK homes. Unfortunately you are not currently in one of our enabled areas. We will deliver your services using BT's network. We are however unable to offer the same prices.

Everyone connected through BT wholesale will have to pay their standard charges.

I think in the future we will see more and more ISP's using their own equipment meaning lower prices !

Regards

Ian
N/A

Broadband costs slashed

Unlimited broadband for less than a tenner. That will put the cat among the pigeons Cheesy

Even if not in a LLU area, unlimited 2Meg for £29.99 is still a good deal.
slev
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

I had a read of their terms and it is limited, albeit a high limit !

We reserve the right to suspend or restrict your use of the Service if we consider it excessive for a single connection to protect the quality and speed of the Service and our network for all users. An example of unreasonable excessive use of the OpenSurf Service would be where you set up your computer to automatically redial after being disconnected for exceeding the 2hour session limit stated above.

For our Broadband service, an example where we would consider there to be unreasonable excessive use would be where there is persistently data transfer in excess of 500 Gigabytes per month, which in our reasonable opinion causes detriment to our other Customers, or our ability to offer the Service or other telecommunications services.

The other part I dont like is port blocking ,

You acknowledge and agree that we run port-blocking on all of our Broadband Services in order to maintain quality of service for all of our customers, so you will not be able to run a mail or web server. We currently block ports 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.

Kind Regards

Ian
zone8
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

First part of that information is for narrowband dialup its looks like. But even if they say no more than 500GB i mean omg i use 60gb per month so that would be perfect for me. even if one month i said lets download for the whole complete month LoL

currently paying £21 to F9 & i will only get 30GB per month now. some months I download maybe 80gb but thats once in a blue moon. So ukonline deal even if you cant go over 500GB would be perfect for me & well 99% of all internet users
zone8
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

tell you what though slevgb your 100% right about always reading the small print. Smiley
slev
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

I have learned to always check the small print due to past problems not here but with warranties etc. Cheesy

Regards

Ian
zone8
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

I had a read of their terms and it is limited, albeit a high limit !

We reserve the right to suspend or restrict your use of the Service if we consider it excessive for a single connection to protect the quality and speed of the Service and our network for all users. An example of unreasonable excessive use of the OpenSurf Service would be where you set up your computer to automatically redial after being disconnected for exceeding the 2hour session limit stated above.

For our Broadband service, an example where we would consider there to be unreasonable excessive use would be where there is persistently data transfer in excess of 500 Gigabytes per month, which in our reasonable opinion causes detriment to our other Customers, or our ability to offer the Service or other telecommunications services.

The other part I dont like is port blocking ,

You acknowledge and agree that we run port-blocking on all of our Broadband Services in order to maintain quality of service for all of our customers, so you will not be able to run a mail or web server. We currently block ports 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.

Kind Regards

Ian

I just called Ukonline about this. the 500gb limit is for 8mbit connection only. With the 512 connection & 1mbit + 2mbit its unlimited as in you can download as much as you want per month without UKonline getting on your back about it.

I even said can you check LoL they say yep 500GB nothing todo with the Standard BT packages they do its for 8mbit.

while I was their dunno if this is usefull information or not. But i asked about using my own router on their connection & they said np go right ahead so thats good news also.
N/A

UK Online cost cutting BB

Hi,

I read about UK Online radically cutting prices and they now have a BB basic 512K package for £9.99 monthly which is great news. So hows it done,well its down to having their own lines (NOT BT) unbundled from the local loop which means they dont have to buy the connections from a middle man (BT) which means they are able to cut costs and pass this on to the consumer or user.

**But the article I read stated quite clearly that fewer than 1 in 5 UK households will benefit from UK Onlines new offerings. As the vast majority of their users are in the South East (London) area or Glasgow.

**But this price cutting may well increase pressure on the iSP industry and on BT to also follow suite?

Ivan
zone8
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

maybe LLU is making Ukonline all the money they need to cover the cost of doing a unlimited service using BT connections.
N/A

Broadband costs slashed

so you will not be able to run a mail or web server. We currently block ports 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.

So is this allied to offering no SLA to speak of ?

These restrictions (especially port 25) pretty much prohibit business use where an SLA would be appropriate, but these ports aren't used by P2P apps, so it doesn't look like a traffic mangement issue.

This makes good sense. They can do maintainence and tweaking during the day, and if they break anything a few home users get a free month while they get it right. They can then roll out a well tested system at a better rate to busines users.
N/A

Broadband costs slashed

Probably a security measure to some extent - you can't run an open SMTP server, or web-proxy because the ports are blocked.
zone8
Grafter

Broadband costs slashed

Well thats one good way of fighting spam. simple because hackers can use your hope email servers to send out thousands of emails. I guess
N/A

sounds good

personaly i use an average 80-120 gig a month(i luv my american tv soaps,so many to download-lol) and my pc is too busy to download most of the time between midnight and 8am(so i'll miss the damn free period f9 offering) so am seriously looking elsewhere if f9 keep to their preposed fair usage/costs when new bandwidths available-so thanks for the links Tongue

(rather pay 100 quid cancellation fee than stay with an isp that rips me off,and from offers i seen some other isp's giving,thats just what its doing judging from the current preposed prices and capping)