cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boots Vs Shoes

Community Veteran

Boots Vs Shoes

I work in an electronics shop. Today I was told that I had to go and spend some of my hard earned cash on a pair of black shoes because I am no longer allowed to wear the black boots I have always worn, the boots which look absoutly no different to shoes when wearing black trousers!
When I was at school all those years ago I was allowed to wear Dr Martain shoes but not Dr Martain boots which are completely identical underneath black trousers. I am really angered about having to wear shoes because I always wear boots and I like having the ankle support.
Could someone please tell me at what point in history did boots become outlawed and why?Huh
11 REPLIES
N/A

Boots Vs Shoes

TBH I dunno, but I would have thought that it was down to personal choice unless it was something included in written company policy on dress code.
Community Veteran

Boots Vs Shoes

You should perhaps explore the Health and safety implications.

One of my friends recently dropped a server he was carrying on his foot, luckily he was wearing safety boots (Not a requirement but a preference like yourself.)a sharp edge on the under side of the server cut through the leather on the safety boot, and only the steel toe cap stopped it from severing a toe, destroying the boot.

The company he works for has now replaced the boots (They were his personal property) and has offered other employees safety boots if they wish to wear them.

Chilly
(spell checked by Mrs Chilly)
N/A

Boots Vs Shoes

I also have safety boots provided by the company;

For meetings etc its preferred that I wear shoes (proper shoes, rather than rubber soled jobbies too!)

To go into our production areas, I have to wear rubber soled footwear though, as areas are often wet/slippery.

Some areas I have to wear safety boots.

Sometimes I just wear socks in the office to rebel Wink
Community Veteran

Boots Vs Shoes

I'm a beliver in people wearing what they want. I only wear clothes that are comfortable and if they tried to force me to wear a tie every day in work I wouldn't be too thrilled.
N/A

Boots Vs Shoes

No ties here either. Jeans today and a shirt, [with open collar], brown boots, cord jacket.

When making off site visits to customers; suit to be worn.

Except for that, please oneself!

(Allowing for minimum H&S requirements obviously. Wink
Community Veteran

Boots Vs Shoes

I'll wear a suit if I have to go out to a customer, which only happens once in a blue moon so thats not too bad. On Fridays we have causal dress (jeans, tshirts etc) week days it's smart, so I'll wear trousers and a shirt, but I only wear boots and no ties.
Community Veteran

Boots Vs Shoes

I understand that one member of staff prefers pink trainers.

Chilly
N/A

Boots Vs Shoes

It seems madness - how do they know that you are wearing boots anyway - will they demand a weekly trouser-leg raise?

Ridiculous. Stick to the boots, and threaten them with unfair dismissal unless it states explicitly in your contract of employment that you aren't allowed to wear boots!
Community Veteran

Boots Vs Shoes

Thanks for the replies. You all appear to have the same opinion as me on the subject. Unfortunately the company dress code is black shoes. I am working in a brand new store that the company has just opened so the rule book is being followed very closely be the management. In a few weeks when all the excitement has calmed down, I will wear the boots again and hopefully noone will notice. Maybe they should worry more about how much effort I am putting into my work!?
Community Veteran

Boots Vs Shoes

Although it's not a requirement by our company to wear safety shoes at any of our clients premises, I still prefer to wear them as standard, particularly where I work on ships and ferries for the vast majority of the time, which do have a stipulation for safety boots, especially in galleys and vehicle decks.

I got told off by a senior manager from my company for not wearing a tie at the customers - I put to him bluntly that unless he wanted to pay my wife death in service anytime soon, I wouldn't be wearing one!

Again, I've seen a few people have heavy pans or chemical drums dropped on to their feet when a ship has been moving in rough weather and the shoes/boots saved their toes.

I think in the case of Seanbranagh, whatever is comfortable, be it boots or shoes..shouldn't make any difference to anyone at all!
nogginthenog
Grafter

boots or shoes?

black crocs.they offer no protection,you can wear them with socks,you will look like a dentist/operating theatre employee,but youre feet will love you!