cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonding 2 adsl connections

N/A

Hi, i currently have 2 f9 accounts 1 is 1mb and the 2nd is 512, i would like to joing them both together giving me a total upload speed og 512 and down of 1.5, anyone got any ideas on how this can be done? if it can be done.

1 is business and 1 is home, in case you where wondering why someone would want to adsl accounts.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Upload speeds limited

Hi,

I can only answer part of this question as too wheather x2 ADSL lines can be bonded together inorder to gain more bandwidth and I too would be interested to know the answer to this one too.

**However the maximum upload speed that can be gained is limited to 256KB
at the present time on all ADSL products as far as I am aware.

**So given the above even if you could bond both lines your maximum upload speed would still be 256KB. This seems to be a BT infrastructure/technology limitation at present,although I have heard plans to extended this limit in future products. How far away in time this might be I dont know.

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I have seen it done, but I think it needs some heavy duty kit to get it done right. You're probably best taking a look at ADSLGuide's forums to see others' experiences.
N/A

i have only ever seen one router that can do what you are asking, which you can find a review @ http://www.homepcnetwork.com/hdervwhwkgrouterf.htm how well this works i don;t know and i have only seen this on US sites none from the UK

hope it helps

Darren
N/A

ADSL Bonded Hows it done?

Hi,
I am familar with how x2 ISDN lines can be bonded to increase the overall bandwidth but can anyone actually explain the technical details of how x2 ADSL lines can be successfully bonded??

I imagine this can be done but would require a router, x2 sets of filters but how does the bonding work at the exchange or ISP level's?? Can anyone enlighten me. Does anyone think its actually worth doing & does anyone know if its cost effective??

Ivan
N/A

Here's an answer of a kind?

Hi,
I just found this entry is the www.dslreports.com/forum which I think goes a good way towards giving an answer to the bonding question:-

Member ronpin
2002-12-06
Loc:Keller, TX
·SBC Southwestern B..
·Charter Pipeline

Inverse multiplexing is a standard that is supported on T-1 lines and above. It allows you to "bond" WAN lines (T-1 and above) in the receiving router. That is you get 3mbs from 2 bonded T-1's

Inverse Multiplexing is not supported with ADSL or cable modems -- or any residential broadband options -- yet.

ADSL2 does include Inverse Multiplexing as part of it's protocol. You will find any attempt to duplicate it with XP or "load balancing" routers to be disappointing.

Cry
N/A

Ivan,

true you can't 'Bond' ADSL lines all you can do is load balance them, but if you use a mulitithreaded download manager like Getright the system will send one download thread down 1 pipe and the other thread down the other, thgus giving you full speed, its not the most elegant way of doing things, but its the best we have got!!

until Bonded DSL becomes a reality you just have to make doi with what youve got.

if you have multi users behind this sytem ie in an office it does a good job

Darren
N/A

Thanks for your answer

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply which is a very interesting answer and clarifies for me atleast whats possible and whats not possible currently with ADSL. Much appreciated,

cheers Ivan Cool
N/A

thanks for the replies, sound like it is a no go at the moment, i currently have a server that i run that is connected to a modem router via rj4d and also a wirless modem/hub that is connected to a 100 mb switch, looks like i will just need to get the server connected to both adsl connections and try and point the different apps that use th web to particular connections / ip addresses.

what fun.

i still dont get why teh maximum upload would still be 256 if i did manage to bond 2 separate lines together, i used to do it on the ld 56k modems and i have done it on isdn2e.

just need to keep looking about for another option,

thanks again all, and i wll update this WHEN i find a solution.