cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder announces upgrade to upload speeds

N/A

Blueyonder has recently announced that it is to upgrade their broadband users from 128k to 256, and from 256 to 384k.

I hope that plusnet and force9 follow in the same direction soon.
15 REPLIES
N/A

N/A

Uploading speeds Ivan

Hello Spink,

Yes! BUT remember Blueyonder and NTL & Telewest are cable telecoms providors and their networks doesnt function in quite the same way as BT. I heard recently that NTL Telewest are going to provide a 10MB connection in the near future when I have no idea it's still only a rumor though.

**My guess is that upload speeds above 256k wont change much until MAXDSL actual arrives with BT next year. OK then you might well see 1MB or more uplink but NOT before then IMO.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Forum Members Matter, Your Voice Counts!
N/A

I know they wont enable it to the general mr joe public, but there is hardware available in dslams already which will allow a bigger upload now.

Just need to be the prime minister to get it Smiley
N/A

Re: Uploading speeds Ivan

I heard recently that NTL Telewest are going to provide a 10MB connection in the near future when I have no idea it's still only a rumor though.

http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=797

Regards

Mark
N/A

replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

YEP!! good link thanks! just confirms things I'd only heard about.

Ivan
N/A

I know they wont enable it to the general mr joe public, but there is hardware available in dslams already which will allow a bigger upload now.

The only problem is, why would BT want to with SDSL being so expensive offering a higher upload speed? Sad
N/A

Ha!! but?? Ivan

hi Jarvis,

Ha!! BUT now BT will have some serious competition if NTL Telewest rollout 10MB service before BT get there. Its going to make a BT 4/8MB service look abit NAFF!! dont you think?? This might be just the kind of kick up the back passage that BT needs inorder to get them off their laurels and finally pull their finger out.**Compeition might be good thing after all?? who knows :?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Forum Members Matter, Your Voice Counts!
N/A

I aint fussed so long as I get a 155 connection into my eyeball Smiley
N/A

Re: Ha!! but?? Ivan

hi Jarvis,

Ha!! BUT now BT will have some serious competition if NTL Telewest rollout 10MB service before BT get there. Its going to make a BT 4/8MB service look abit NAFF!! dont you think?? This might be just the kind of kick up the back passage that BT needs inorder to get them off their laurels and finally pull their finger out.**Compeition might be good thing after all?? who knows :?

Excellent point there ivan!!

How many people's lines are actually going to be able to support 8mbits though (never mind 10)? There has been random mentions of ADSL2 on these forums in the past, what is that? Is it better at long distances?
N/A

ADSL2 doesn't add much to absolute range but offers higer bandwidth. It's also rate adaptive and has better mechanisms to cope with crosstalk and RF interference, so in practice it could add significant reach as these factors are generally more important above 512K than loop length in this country.

Fairly dull but good explanation of ADSL2 here

http://www.dslprime.com/a/adsl21.pdf
N/A

That paper does make ADSL2 sound very nice, but of course papers like that are supposed to though Wink

We shall see when BT bring it out!! ... but by then the world will be ruled by damn dirty apes.
N/A

It's not gonna be BT that brings it out, it'll be the LLUd exchanges that do this via third parties.

I suspect BT are still looking at the fibre to the door strategy, and will take huge leap forward if they and their customers, can afford the infrastructure. At that point they can just let the old copper based exchanges out to the LLU resellers untill the land is worth more than the traffic, at that point copper services cease, but that's not a problem 'cos BT have a fibre to the door solution all ready.

It's what I'd do if I was BT. :twisted:
N/A

I have no idea 'what lies beneith' the BT grates in the road... Is there space to put f/o cable to all the street boxes (or new transparent acrylic fibre optic street boxes with green LEDs and shower hoze to cover up the nasties Tongue) or does that require a large road excavation project?

I dont know, but I'm guessing that getting f/o to street is going to be the most expensive bit, and then people can pay to convert when that is done??

I really have no idea :shock:
N/A

I have no idea 'what lies beneith' the BT grates in the road...

Copper and fiber, loads of it.

Is there space to put f/o cable to all the street boxes

Mostly, loads already have.

(or new transparent acrylic fibre optic street boxes with green LEDs and shower hoze to cover up the nasties Tongue) or does that require a large road excavation project?

Don't care. I want chrome and LEDs, won't happen though, BT love that cast iron retro look.

I dont know, but I'm guessing that getting f/o to street is going to be the most expensive bit,

Nope, not by amount of effort and certianly not per user. Fibre to the streets a done deal, it's fibre to the door.

and then people can pay to convert when that is done?Huh

Yeah, pretty much, benefits will make an instalation charge well worth it to the early adopters, then it'll get cheaper then free with services, very much like Cable or ADSL.

I really have no idea :shock:

Hope I helped. Smiley