cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth hands free headset

Community Veteran

I've just got a nice new Nokia 6230 which Im very pleased with.

I'd ideally like to be able to use it in the car sometimes and Im thinking of getting a bluetooth hands free kit.

Does any one have any views on what these are like? Do they cut out much? Anything to avoid?
9 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Been thinking of getting one myself the only thing thats stopped me so
far is having to walk round looking like something out of star trek Wink

but seriously if you do find a good one thats quite subtle let me know
cos i still want one
N/A

Hi Chris,

I've used a few, and I use one the moment. I've not had any real issues with them or the quality of sound. The only thing I found is that the more you pay, the better the quality and sound.

Mobileshop.com do a few good ones, and the prices are pretty good as well.
Brickinit
Grafter

i've had a bluetooth handsfree for over a year now also on a nokia 6230. had the nokia one first not very comfortable in the ear, sold it and bought a cheapie jabra bt200 and it's been brilliant, apart from in really windy weather when the person who you are speaking to thinks you are in a wind tunnel. battery last for two days with meadium usage but don't forget battery life on phone suffers as well but obviously not a problem if phone is kept in charger as you drive
N/A

Re: Bluetooth hands free headset

Hi,

I'd ideally like to be able to use it in the car sometimes

Are you looking for a car-kit, or just general blue-tooth handsfree?

A fitted car-kit has the benefit of not worrying about having to keep it charge, and [if done right] should automatically connect to your phone when you start the car.

This does require a little more work to install, and a decent microphone is a must if you want to avoid too much cabin noise. However, you can't exactly take them out of the car, but it's only a problem if you want to use handsfree elsewhere (or if like me you keep driving different cars!).

Finally, I found out the hard way that some manufacturers implementations seem to be more standard than others. However, if you stick with the Nokia kit to go with your Nokia phone, you should be OK.

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

Hi,

but seriously if you do find a good one thats quite subtle

I found the same problem, however Sony Ericsson do one (here) that clips onto your jacket, with a headphone wire. Looks kinda like a small portable mp3 stick thingy. This also shows the incoming number on the unit, and can access your address book for dialing - very helpful when you've buried your phone good and proper.

(Incidently, they also do an MP3 player/BlueTooth and Radio/Blue tooth Headset combo).

Two downsides though:
a) like the wired kits, I'm always tangling the darn thing. (But not managed to break it yet!)
b) The one I have will only pair with one phone at a time, so not good if you swap between two phones.

Regards,
D'Essen
Brickinit
Grafter

the nokia 6230 has a built in MP3 player and radio. nokia also do a hands free that plugs into your cigarette lighter with speaker and mic which obviously can be taken from motor to motor. the best thing about hands free is that you can go to the boot or do anything else whilst in a call. and of coarse you have voice dialling as well so you can keep you phone in a pocket etc.
Community Veteran

I wouldnt go for a fitted car kit, although I can get them very cheap. I like the flexibility of being able to get a new phone whenever I want and my missus has a completely different phone and she also uses the car.
I'd also want to use it in work's cars sometimes.

Chris
N/A

Car kits are good, but to be honest the headsets in my view are better all round, since you can use them wherever you are. In addition the technology is getting smaller and less obvious all the time.

However this can lead to strange looks at time lol, because people don't see the phone and think your talking to yourself lol lol
N/A

Hi,

If you were always in one vehicle, then I would recommend the fixed kit for ease. (It just works, no charging, or placing on your ear - no hassle).

However, with multiple cars, or even when out of the car - then a headset has distinct advantages

Generally, I have found the head-set to be more flexible - however if you use the phone more than a bit , ensure you keep a charger handy! No good on a long journey if it dies half way!

Regards,
D'Essen