cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking of pesky 'Pop-Ups'

N/A

Blocking of pesky 'Pop-Ups'

Any recommendations for blocking those "pop-ups" that appear whilst doing serious stuff? They are a pain!!.

Anyone using the Mozilla browser as I believe that pop-ups can be blocked?
5 REPLIES
tssk
Grafter

RE: Blocking of pesky 'Pop-Ups'

Go to my site (plug for my site really).
http://tssk.5er.com
click on the "Programs" url on the left hand side, when you've entered the site.
click on the "popup stopper program" link.
Easy to use, kill the little beggars stone dead.
If you find you want to actually let it pop up on certain sites, right click, enter and allow.
Full instructions included, and its free.
May I ask? Are you related to Craig Faulkner (Batemoor, Sheffield) perchance?
Regards - Terry

--
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning..." Catherine Aird
N/A

> Anyone using the Mozilla browser as I believe that > pop-ups can be blocked?

Yeh, Mozilla v1.0 has a plugin available that suppresses pop-ups. You'll need to install it after you've installed Mozilla. There are two ways to do this:

1. Install Mozilla. The default homepage should be a Mozilla v1.0 specific page and there will be a link to the plug-ins section of MozDev.
2. Go to MozDev direct. I think it's www.mozdev.org

Once you've got to MozDev, look for the BannerBlind project. It'll be in the top 50 projects list.

Other suppression programs are available for IE etc but I prefer Mozilla coz you can use mouse gestures Smiley

Hope this helps.
N/A

> > Anyone using the Mozilla browser as I believe that > pop-ups can be blocked?
>
> Yeh, Mozilla v1.0 has a plugin available that suppresses pop-ups. You'll need to install it after you've installed Mozilla. There are two ways to do this:
>
> 1. Install Mozilla. The default homepage should be a Mozilla v1.0 specific page and there will be a link to the plug-ins section of MozDev.
> 2. Go to MozDev direct. I think it's www.mozdev.org
>
> Once you've got to MozDev, look for the BannerBlind project. It'll be in the top 50 projects list.
>
> Other suppression programs are available for IE etc but I prefer Mozilla coz you can use mouse gestures Smiley
>
> Hope this helps.

I use "popup stopper" available from most freeware distributors like cnet.com it does the job perfectly
N/A

> > > Anyone using the Mozilla browser as I believe that > pop-ups can be blocked?
> >
> > Yeh, Mozilla v1.0 has a plugin available that suppresses pop-ups. You'll need to install it after you've installed Mozilla. There are two ways to do this:
> >
> > 1. Install Mozilla. The default homepage should be a Mozilla v1.0 specific page and there will be a link to the plug-ins section of MozDev.
> > 2. Go to MozDev direct. I think it's www.mozdev.org
> >
> > Once you've got to MozDev, look for the BannerBlind project. It'll be in the top 50 projects list.
> >
> > Other suppression programs are available for IE etc but I prefer Mozilla coz you can use mouse gestures Smiley
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> I use "popup stopper" available from most freeware distributors like cnet.com it does the job perfectly

Personally, I just make use of Windows' hosts file. add a reference to the url that the popup is originating from with the IP of 127.0.0.1 (localhost) to the file and away go the ads. While, technically this doesn't stop the pop-up windows themselves, it does block the annoying calls to perform certain acts to yourself and get more credit that seem to bombard us more and more each day.

If anyone's interested, I will post full instructions and a list of urls that I use already on my webspace.

Matt

N/A

Thanks for the above replies and sorry for not responding sooner.

Steve

ps don't think I'm related to anyone in Sheffield as I'm originally from Manchester - but you never know !!