cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitTorrent throttled on F9?

N/A

Hi all,

I've tried scouring previous posts in a hope to get some light shed on this, but to no avail.

Is bittorrent throttled at all on F9? I've just migrated from another ISP where I had a 1Mbit connection and got d/l at full speed.

Now I'm on Broadband Premier, I'm only getting 12kbit/s for torrents from the same place. The ports being used are not the default BT ports (6xxx range). Anyone know the answer to this, or know how I can find out where the problem lies?

Cheers for any help!
8 REPLIES
N/A

Premier does have "slight" shaping at peak times on peer-to-peer (i.e. bittorrent) to give priority to services like email and web and we should only have noticed around a 5% drop in speeds because of this.... apparently.

I personally havent been able to get decent speeds on the odd things I get over p2p since they started doing this.
N/A

Ive got the same problem, only got 1mb connection but on my old 512k connection I had with BT i could get connection on P2P of about 50-60k and with this force 9 1mb i only get about 10k!! is this normal because starting to wish i went elsewhere
N/A

this slow BT speed seems to be normal. I've requeted my MAC and I'm getting out. I have to pay £14.99 though. I wish the T&C were clearer and actually mentioned BitTorrent in the list of p2p the ISP doesn't support. I'm moving to Freedom2Surf.
N/A

this slow BT speed seems to be normal. I've requeted my MAC and I'm getting out. I have to pay £14.99 though. I wish the T&C were clearer and actually mentioned BitTorrent in the list of p2p the ISP doesn't support. I'm moving to Freedom2Surf.

I think you'll find that f2s is more expensive than f9, costing 24.99 compared to 21.99 here for the non-capped service. The cheaper 14.99 package on f2s is capped at 2Gb of downloads per month, here on f9, although p2p may be speed restricted, it's still unlimited data transfer.

If you intend to be a heavy user of p2p then you're gonna have to pay more than 14.99 a month to any decent ISP, in which case you'd be better off staying with f9 and upgrading to the broadband premier service at 21.99.
N/A

I think you'll find that f2s is more expensive than f9, costing 24.99 compared to 21.99 here for the non-capped service. The cheaper 14.99 package on f2s is capped at 2Gb of downloads per month, here on f9, although p2p may be speed restricted, it's still unlimited data transfer.

If you intend to be a heavy user of p2p then you're gonna have to pay more than 14.99 a month to any decent ISP, in which case you'd be better off staying with f9 and upgrading to the broadband premier service at 21.99.

You assumed I was on the £14.99 package, when I was actually on Broadband Premier. Price is not something I'm overly sensitive about having paid more for my broadband service elsewhere, I'm prepared to pay the price for unmetered high speed access, including high speed p2p such as BitTorrent. F2S offers me exactly what I want, as do other ISPs, and the price difference is irrelevent.
N/A

I have recently downloaded a few linux gpl applications through torrents as certain ftp servers were down and I fluctuated between 25k and 200k.
N/A

You assumed I was on the £14.99 package, when I was actually on Broadband Premier.

Yes, I did assume, because I've never seen speeds as low as you are claiming for p2p on premier. But then I only use p2p occasionally, so maybe the occasions I've used it I've been lucky.

if the "slight" traffic shaping is as severe as it sounds then you're quite right to jump ship.
N/A

out too

torrents were abit slow on 1mb but i found speeds were pretty much as promised on 2mb with torrents i get occasionaly-well was getting b4 the usage cap implimented,then they limited me to 6k upload indefinately and 64 down so am changing end of month,most likely to demon isp who offer same speed static ip and uncap usage.(their web page size and probably their service responce etc suk abit,but if not willing to pay business isp costs on F9 or spend every other hour watching usage in case get wrist slapped,then u take best can get for your money and demon seems to be best selection to match my main needs so probably my new isp next week :shock: