cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL500 - Linux(Fedora Core 1)

N/A

Hi Can anyone help me here? I'm tearing my hair out - I can get as far as installing the driver (e2.o) and that device gets assigned an IP (10.0.0.3) and can ping (10.0.0.2) which is different to the modems address under windows(192.168.1.2) which is odd... Then I can get no further - trying to log in to the modem with mozilla gets me to a password page (which I have not password for). I really don't know what I'm doing here and there doesn't seem to be any help anywhere on this particular modem - I'm beginning to think I should have gone for the router option..... HELP!!!!!!!!

Dan
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Dan,

Never set the modem up in Linux, but there is a setup guide on Binatone's site at

ftp://customer:binatone@80.176.199.241/ADSL500 New Version/Linux/

don't know if it's any help.
N/A

Hi Dan,
Did you get any further setting the modem up? I have just started playing around with SuSe Linux v9.0 and am having trouble setting the Binatone ADSL 500 modem up as well.

Dave,
I tried to view the link you posted but got an error?

ftp://customer:binatone@80.176.199.241/ADSL500 New Version/Linux/

Marcus.
N/A

I am just registering my modem at http://www.binatonebroadband.com/ to see if they have any drivers for the modem (you need to register the product before you can access the drivers for it).

I'll let you know if I have any joy...

Marcus
N/A

Hi Marcus

The drivers that you'll find on the Binatone site should be the same that come on the disk with you modem. I've been able to install them fairly easily - this is with fedora - the rpms are Redhat but it suggests you should be able to rebuild them for Suse. I've had the driver start up and I'm able to ping it as a device on - 10.0.0.3 and then the modem on 10.0.0.2.

Once you've rebuilt your RPMs and got them installed on Suse - can't remenber how you do that - you need to either restart or install the module (insmod e2.o).

Once the module is installed you should be able to start the interface up with:

ifconfig hsb0 up

However.... from that point I've been able to get little further - the instructions that come with the modem are very limited and F9 or Binatone have been petty useless, given that they are both advertising that they have Linux drivers (something that got my £) and just having one example of how to do it would be good enough as it would be fairly similar across distributions. The main problem for me is that you need a password to log in to your modem to set it up - this isn't given anywhere, either by F9 or Binatone. I'm going to try and call Binatone again today to see if I can get the login in information - as I've only recently realised the importance of this.

N.b.

I'm pretty sure that once you've managed to log in to the modem you need to use PPP with PPtP (which is similar to VPN) to get you machine working with it - this is what all Howtos suggest. I've had some problems here - but I've left it until I'm happy the mode driver is working and I'm able to log in to it.

Good Luck

Dan
N/A

Thanks Dan, I'll give it a go tonight.
N/A

Hi Dan,
Read through various forums about setting USB modems up with SuSe Linux and most pointed towards using a Smooth Touch USB Modem by ALCATEL.

As I only started to use Linux a few days ago I decided to take the easy way out and get one of these modems. I managed to get one three days ago for £16 off EBAY and here I am writing this post while connected to the net via Linux using the said modem (and a browser caled 'Konqueror').

I did appreciate the information you posted BTW, didn't mean to waste your time.

Did you get your ADSL500 working?

Marcus.