cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL 500 3-LED Compatibility

N/A

My 'Broadband Easy Start' hasn't been easy at all. I was sent the Binatone ADSL 500 with the 3 leds on it when I was enabled last week. It is only on my third PC that I have got successful connection and I can only put it down to chipset/motherboard compatibility. My first attempt on my 1.2Ghz Soltek PC has resulted in corruption of Internet Explorer. I found I couldn't load the Binatone software at first because the loader was asking for my WIN98SE disc but I couldn't open the drive door. The Binatone help line told me a way around it by using right click on the Start button then via Explore to the drive and the 'eject' command. However in my attempts to get the door open through cancels prior to that must have corrupted IE.
My next attempt was with my old 333MHz PC with a VIA chipset. This operates very slowly on boot-up and in most other ways too. I was able to load the Binatone software and get a connection. The problem then was losing the connection every time I tried to download a large file or watch a video file after about 5-10 minutes. Normal browsing was OK although slightly ponderous. Recovering from the lost connection was frustrating involving many re-boots and USB disconnect/re-connects before the modem would come back to life. I read the posts about using a powered hub so yesterday I bought one. This seemed OK a first but then I lost connection again and also lost the software for the powered hub! Re-loading attempts failed miserably.
I then tried my old Compaq 333Mhz machine and what a difference! The Binatone software went straight in, connection was achieved, no powered hub and no lost connections all evening! Wow, the modem works after all!
From the other posts I have read it and my experience it seems that the Binatone ADSL 500 is far too fussy about what chipsets/motherboards that it will work with.

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Please do not use all capitals titles as it is considered rude.]
1 REPLY
N/A

as i haven't nor have ever had the binatone I'm at a loss, but here's a link that may help, it has the binatone setup guide and drivers. Dunno whether it'll help but may be worth a shot.

http://portal.free-online.net/supportpages.html?a=225

Platty[/url]