Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL 2100 Firewall settings

dbarrett
Grafter

Hi folks,

I am up and running with my adsl connection and I'm pleased as punch with the speed.

I'm using Win XP with Service Pack 2 and the XP firewall is enabled, however I have a few questions regarding Binatone ADSL 2100 Firewall settings.

At present the firewall is disabled, should I enable it and if so what settings should I use please? If I use the router firewall should I disable XP firewall? Am I protected by NAT?

I've taken the advice re changing my Admin password and any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Dick
11 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Dick,
I haven't got ur modem/router but enabling the firewall shouldn't affect ur XP one, I know mine doesn't, If they were both software ones running on ur comp I would disable the XP one, but u should be ok, as far as the settings I'm unsure, but if it has a default setting use that unless u have problems.

Platty
dbarrett
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Platty, I'll make a note of the initial settings then start some experimenting. That way I'll have a known state to come back to if it all ends in tears!

PS 'scuse the typing, Son-in-law and me imbibed in a few lagers whilst we planned tomorrows yomp in the Grampian hills :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

For most things NAT will provide sufficient protection from the outside world, but I would also recommend enabling the router's firewall simply because it is there and will provide that extra layer.
You probably don't need the XP firewall running as well, but if it doesn't affect the PC's performance leave it on. Just make sure you keep your operating system and antivirus software up to date and you shouldn't have any problems.
Enjoy the broadband and the hills.
dbarrett
Grafter

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tips. I have enabled the router firewall and everything seems to be working ok. I've left the XP firewall enabled too for the time being just in case, however I haven't noticed any performance issues yet.

Thanks again for your help folks.

Dick
dbarrett
Grafter

I contacted Binatone to see if they could give me any more information:

Can you tell me how to configure the firewall in my Binatone
ADSL2100 Ethernet Router please?

Their next to useless reply was:

Dear Sir,

If you wish to use this firewall then it is up to you as to which features
you want to enable, check the ones you want apply the settings and then save
settings.

Paul Chapman
Broadband Helpline

I should have gone to Cisco! Sad
dbarrett
Grafter

I contacted Binatone again today:

Thank you for your reply. I apologise for my delay in following this up,
life has been a bit busy here of late.

I've been very pleased with this product up to now however could you clarify
something for me please?

Under "Service Filtering" does ticking an option allow or disallow the
function. i.e. if I tick "Ping from External Network" will pings from
outside be blocked or allowed through?

Their more useful reply was:

Dear Sir,

With these settings ticking the box should allow that particular function,
so FTP from external network should allow an FTP request through to your
computer.

I am a lot happier now that I understand a bit more about the router. I realise it's a domestic product however I do feel that the documentation coul be a bit better. Other than that little niggle I'm very happy with this router.
dbarrett
Grafter

I've just discovered "Shields Up" at http://www.grc.com/

This appears to be a great way to find out if your firewall settings are working properly Cheesy
Community Veteran

Having just got my Belkin ADSL modem/router up and running, I have found that I don't seem to need the XP firewall. I've used Shileds up! a lot, and it seems really useful.

From checking my connection speed with and without the software firewall engaged, it seemed to reduce my download speed appreciably, and that's why I turned the software firewall off. Shields up! still showed my connection as safe. If anyone has another way of checking , let us know.

John
dbarrett
Grafter

I've just tried turning the XP firewall off and it made a speed difference here too.

Before: 1895, 1309, 1546 kbps

After: 1934, 1975, 1922 kpps

My rough maths makes that about 10% improvement.

Isn't NAT wonderful? Cheesy
dbarrett
Grafter

Ah, I thought it was too good to be true!

If you turn the Windows XP firewall off for your network card, it also turns it off for the dial up connections. I still have the modem available in case of a problem with broadband so I think I'll leave the firewall on for now; I don't notice any performance differences and I'm only aware of the speed differences because I ran a speed test!

It's a shame that the XP firewall cannot be configured to be on for modem connections and off for router connections though. Sad

Regards,

Dick
N/A

Heyup Dick,

Hmmm, OK 1st off - and please dont take this the wrong way, but Binatone - not the greatest on earth Wink Especially if their cordless phones are anything to go on Smiley Bear in mind that you can get a Belkin or Netgear 54Mb wireless DSL router for like £60, and they do have firmware updates from time to time. I would forget Cisco or anything in that arena, a) cos its too expensive to get something that works well, i.e. runs IOS (most of the smaller units are blackware buy-in or takeovers much the same as Bay or Dlink units), b) its too complex for average users to manage and configure

That aside, 1st I would request if there are any firmware updates available for the unit, and apply them if there are. Often the updates are for minor fixes - so they say, but actually contain other more significant fixes, and generally with this stuff, its better to run the latest stable version.

Most SOHO units (small routers) have some form of firewall, but it is normally only an enhancement on NAT, they simply dont have the internal CPU power or memory to run a sophisticated firewall suite. Sometimes you have to enable the firewall if you want to enable virtual servers (port forwarding) such as for Bit Torrents, p2p clients and some games, or manage policies like as you memntioned Ping Blocking.

I would recomend that you use the routers firewall and disable response to internet pings (or icmp echo) - your best bet on the net is not to answer a ping from another PC - making you appear offline in effect. Do not enable any services that you do not use - e.g. enable FTP pass-thru, however FTP (if you use it) is an oddball, since once you establish a connection - you are actually the connection server, not the client - as a result of this - all routers with NAT have to have some basic stuff built in to handle it (call Aplication Gateways).
Shoudl you have any problems with FTP, or for that matter anything else connecting - your first place to try is turn off the firewall.

GRC is good - I would recomend that you DL the small peeker client it offers, for a more accurate test, its quite harmless.

I personally wouldnt touch XP firewall, yes, it uses CPU - most do, but its not the best software firewall in the world, but thats a different debate, it is adequate, but you shouldnt need it at all with NAT. There are things that people can do to effect you even running NAT, but considering how hard it is to effectively hack against even basic NAT - most people just wouldnt go to the trouble - even if they knew how. You can get attacked - which typically at worse would take away you bandwidth, but such attacks are normally aimed at corporations, or websites.

Finally - to protect yourself from trojans that is viruses or spyware which uses your PC in the background to connect to an internet server, or user, who may then take control of some or even all aspects of your PC - install and keep up to date definitions both Virus software (McAffee or Symantec) and SpyWare monitors such as AdAware or Search n Destroy (both free). Again these use up CPU, but thats the price you have to pay.
IMHO - even tho I use Norton AV - McAffee is better for CPU and some definitions that Norton doesnt get, but the same is true that Norton detects stuff that McAffee doesnt Sad

I was sure that you could configure the XP FW for each network interface - I will look into it, or better yet - just get yourself something like Norton Internet Security pack - and just run hassle free - remember anything that has to inspect data being transfered as it is transfered - its going to use CPU and may slow things down - ce la vie

Hope this helps - If you have any screenshots - or links to them - or questions about the config - just cut paste it here if you can

Big Vic