cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL 2000 Headache

okmbok
Grafter

Can anyone help me setup my Binatone adsl 2000 modem.
Because I am getting really peeved Sad

Basically I have only ever had it working for 2 hours for the last few days.

I am connecting the modem with the ethernet cable option.
Modem diagnostics indicate ethernet link working.
Synchronisation test failed

Some basic questions:
-The DSL/ACT LED flickers constantly. The manual says this means it is trying to establish a connection. Should the modem try to connect even though I havent tried to login yet?

If the modem is supposed to connect to the adsl as soon as it is connected to the phone socket then can I test modem connection without attaching it to my pc. that way I can test the modem directly at my master phone socket.?

What should the PPP settings be such as:
MTU value,
PPP Half bridge mode
Static WAN configuration
IGMP configuration

LAN & DHCP settings - do I need to touch these?

-What is PAT and do i need it?

Thanks if you can help.

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Please do not use All-Capitals titles, it is considered rude and is akin to shouting.]
6 REPLIES
N/A

I'm not surprised you're having difficulties -- I've just downloaded the Binatone ADSL2000 manual, and it only deals with about half of what you need to know, completely skating over setting up the router itself (a brief summary on page 24).

The manual says the DSL/ACT indicator flickers slowly when "trying to establish a connection". I think this might be misleading in that on most devices I'm aware of, the DSL indicator flashes if the device has not synchronised with the DSLAM at the BT exchange. This would seem to tie in with your report that the "Synchronisation test failed". You say you've had the router working for a couple of hours, but are you sure your line has been activated?

If you're sure the line has been activated, I'd be inclined to reset the router to the factory default settings, using the button on the back. Then leave the router switched off and disconnected from the phone line for 30 mins to an hour or so.

In the meantime, configure the network settings on your PC. The manual says to set the PC to obtain its IP address automatically (which means you will need the DHCP settings on the router -- my guess is the factory default settings will be satisfactory). Then power down the C, connect the router to the phone line and the PC and power it up. After it's started, (hopefully the DSL/ACT light will stop flashing), power up the PC.

It seems by default the router uses the IP address 192.168.1.2, so hopefully the PC will have been assigned a 192.168.1.<something> address.

The following comes from the minimal information on page 24 of the manual:

Start your web browser, and enter the address 192.168.1.2 in the location bar. You should then be able to log in to the router's "Web Management" screen using the username of "admin" and the password of "epicrouter". From here, you should go to the router's home page, from which there is (supposedly) an option "Easy Mode: Configuration" which itself has an option "WAN".

Unfortunately, they don't show a picture of this screen, simply saying "Enter the relevant information given by your ADSL Service Provider and click Submit", so I can't give specific advice, but I'd expect this to be where you can choose options like PPPoA, VPI=0, VCI=38, Encapsulation: VCMux, Username=okmbok@f9.co.uk, your Force9 password; Obtain IP address dynamically, same for DNS addresses. Anything else is probably best left at its default value. Apparently, you should be able to click on "Save Settings" and the Internet connection should then be established.
okmbok
Grafter

No luck with ur suggestion
USB doesn't work either, Checked phone conns & filters etc.
Can u confirm that the DSL LED must me stable even before the PC is switched ON or trying to connect to internet?

But here are some of the modem settings:

##########################################
WAN Configuration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Protocol/Encapsulation: PPPoA VC-Mux
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Bridge Mode Enable? Disabled Enabled
PPP configuration (optional)
Username: *********
Password: **********
Authentication: Auto
MTU 1458
Auto reconnect when ADSL link down?
Auto disconnect from ISP when there is no data transfer? seconds (Maximum allowed: 32767 seconds)
Enable auto reconnect to ISP when lauching web browser? Disabled
Enable PPP Half Bridge mode? Disabled
Static WAN configuration (optional) WAN Static IP:
WAN Subnet Mask: 192.168.246.101
WAN Gateway: 255.255.255.0
IGMP configuration (optional)
Enable IGMP? Disabled

###################################################

The WAN settings were created by the modem itself!

###################################################

ADSL Status
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADSL Line Status: ACTIVATION
ADSL Modulation: N/A
ADSL Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
ADSL Startup Attempts: 0
Elapsed Time: 0 days 0 hours 10 minutes 5 seconds

Overall Status

ADSL Line Status: ACTIVATION
Downstream Data Rate: 0kbps
Upstream Data Rate: 0kbps

PPP Connection Status: Not Connected
Protocol & Encapsulation Mode: PPPoA VC-Mux
VPI/VCI: 0/38

WAN Statistic:
IP Address Subnet Mask MAC Address

LAN Statistic:

Number of computers connected to the DHCP server: 1

##############################################

One more thing the modem creates a another "address"
in the PAT settings.

##############################################

ID Public Port Private Port Port Type Host IP Address
1 80 80 TCP 192.168.100.100
N/A

The DSL/ACT light: my guess (the manual's not specific) is that it is, in fact, a synchronisation indicator, showing if the modem has synchronised with the equipment in the BT exchange. If this is so, then unless you can get your modem to sychronise (ie light is on and steady), you have no chance to establish a connection over the link.

My reason for suggesting you don't power up your PC until the DSL/ACT light was on was not that the modem has to be synchronised beforehand, but because the PC is configured as a DHCP client, and I wanted to be sure the router was fully up and ready to act as the DHCP server. it was playing safe, nothing more significant.

Your settings look fine to me. I'm not sure that much notice should be taken of the WAN settings, as it seems there's no PPP connection, so I'd guess the WAN settings are just random ones (albeit strange), and certainly not ones which have been established by PPP exchanges.

For me, the big question is still: Are you sure your line has been activated for ADSL use?
okmbok
Grafter

argh

I'm 99.99% sure of the ADSL has been activated.

ok i borrowed another modem (unfortunately it is the same make)
and managed to connect , after a couple of hours. But when I disconnected I couldn't login in again.

-Wierd thing is the settings showed no computer connected to DHCP server
(i.e. my NIC ip was missing) and still I could log on.

The ADSL Line status should follow the following order, I think:

(1) Down
(2) Initialization
(3) Activation
(4) Showtime ................At this point I can then login.

Tried my original modem on another PC and same problem.

I've e-mailed binatone but zero response.

I'm going to try and source another modem.

One other thing, When I use dial-up I cant get retrieve mail from outlook express now! all I get is the following:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.force9.net', Server: 'relay.force9.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10065, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas

Thanks.
N/A

Do you have the latest firmware on your router? There's a folder containing material for the ADSL 2000 router at ftp://customer:binatone@80.176.199.241

Apparently, socket error 10065 means "No route to host".

Are you able to ping relay.force9.net?

What happens if you try the procedure outlined in Using telnet as a Diagnostic Aid for Checking the SMTP Server?
okmbok
Grafter

Forget binatone

I've given up with binaone.

I've just bought a netgear DG384
Worked first time....

But connection speed is "terrible"

I get around 370kbps any ideas on setting to get faster speeds?