cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone 2100 ADSL\Router - How secure is it?

N/A

Hi,
Justed joined ADSL\F9 after bad experience with NTL Rubberband (Broadband).
Subscribed for ADSL pack which included ADSL Router. Was supposed to be Solewise SAR 130. However, Binatone 2100 turned up due to stock probs with the solwise. Am not sure how secure the firewall is with the Binatone? (although the fact that it has an inbuilt 4 port hub with DHCP and NAT translation is a big plus. ( Have 2 PC's + laptop))
Any recommendations as to how secure the Binatone is? Have performed a Security check via Symatec's Internet security checker and passed all checks without touching my Software firewall.

I wish to remove my software firewall so need to be sure the ADSL\Router is up to the job against hacks.

Any experience or advice is appreciated. Am not that experienced when it comes to networking issues.

Thanks,
Mike.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Firewalling

Hi,
Firstly I wouldnt have much faith in the tools provided by the symantec website for checking your security, it is my strong opinion that it doesnt do a very good job. The sites I would highly recommend too you if you want a REALLY detailled and complete security check are as follows:-

1) Shields Up the URL is :- https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

or http://www.shieldsup.com ?

2) http://www.blackcode.com/

Secondly, why remove your software firewall unless it has a direct conflict with your router or degrades ADSL performance, i.e. what have you to loose. Personally I still remain unconvinced after many years in IT that hardware firewalls ARE any better than software firewalls (its a very subject thing though).
OK hardware firewalls are only better if your prepared to spend some serious money on something like a PIX firewall.

I think you would be hard pressed to find something that suprassed a product like ZonLabs ZoneAlarm software firewall.

Ivan
N/A

I'd echo Ivan's / "cyteck's" comment about keeping your software firewall. Why do you want to remove it?

Apart from Force9's own installation summary, the only useful information regarding a "Binatone 2100" I've been able to find in a quick "Google" search is about a cordless answerphone. Among the "junk" information is some other ISP charging £99.99 for this router, and saying it "has features you would only expect to find in high end platforms"

It would be interesting to know if the Binatone 2100's "firewall" is anything more than the natural protection afforded by virtue of "NAT". In the past (I think this tendency is less common these days) some ADSL router manufacturers have claimed their product incorporated a "firewall", but the reality was they meant no more than NAT. Does the Binatone offer packet filtering or stateful packet inspection? How configurable is it? If there's nothing in the manual about this, then you know neither that it exists in the first place, nor, if it does exist, what it's doing and whether that suits your needs. Is it sensible to discard your software firewall in those circumstances?
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for the input.
Am running Norton Personnal Firewall on my main PC and will leave this inplace. I wanted origionally to remove this as any background software has a performance impact on my PC. (Although How Much is questionable) Also, I didn't want to purchase more copies for my 2 other PC's, and configuring the rules to letin my local PC's would have been a pain.

Have found a few site that shows the spec of the router (http://www.binatonebroadband.com), and it looks like NAT is the only feature that offers some security. I'll take your advice and keep the S\W firewall. Will probably use XP's built in firewall for the other PC's. Will have to play around to get my Local Network talking with each other.

Since being online through ADSL from Friday PM, Norton has not recorded any breakin attempts which is quite reasuring. With NTL Broadband I would get at least a couple of alerts an hour.

Have given 2 of the sites you suggested a go and they diagnosed I had a secure system. The attempts from their site did not even reach my firewall which is reasuring. The only problems reported were:

1. My IP Address is reporting back a ping responce (gather this is router but have no option to turn this off)
2. Some ports were also responding to requests (but are stealthed so passed).
3. my hostname being displayed <Userid>.force9.co.uk but looks like this is ISP.

Maybe the router and ISP are performing much of this as Norton did not complain of anything. Also got same results when I disabled S\W firewall.

Important issue was to change the user account and password on my router from the factory default, which was one of the first things I did.
On the whole, quite happy.

Thanks again for your input Feel much better about my connection. With NTL I ended up paranoid due to the attempts on my PC made during the course of a day.

Cheers,
Mike.
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for the input.
Am running Norton Personnal Firewall on my main PC and will leave this inplace. I wanted origionally to remove this as any background software has a performance impact on my PC. (Although How Much is questionable) Also, I didn't want to purchase more copies for my 2 other PC's, and configuring the rules to letin my local PC's would have been a pain.

Have found a few site that shows the spec of the router (http://www.binatonebroadband.com), and it looks like NAT is the only feature that offers some security. I'll take your advice and keep the S\W firewall. Will probably use XP's built in firewall for the other PC's. Will have to play around to get my Local Network talking with each other.

Since being online through ADSL from Friday PM, Norton has not recorded any breakin attempts which is quite reasuring. With NTL Broadband I would get at least a couple of alerts an hour.

Have given 2 of the sites you suggested a go and they diagnosed I had a secure system. The attempts from their site did not even reach my firewall which is reasuring. The only problems reported were:

1. My IP Address is reporting back a ping responce (gather this is router but have no option to turn this off)
2. Some ports were also responding to requests (but are stealthed so passed).
3. my hostname being displayed <Userid>.force9.co.uk but looks like this is ISP.

Maybe the router and ISP are performing much of this as Norton did not complain of anything. Also got same results when I disabled S\W firewall.

Important issue was to change the user account and password on my router from the factory default, which was one of the first things I did.
On the whole, quite happy.

Thanks again for your input Feel much better about my connection. With NTL I ended up paranoid due to the attempts on my PC made during the course of a day.

Cheers,
Mike.