Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Gates to be knighted...

csogilvie
Grafter

- but you can blame it on Gordon Brown

Bill Gates, the Microsoft founder and the world's wealthiest man, is to receive an honorary knighthood for "services to global enterprise".

The recommendation that he receive the honour was made by the Chancellor, Gordon Brown. Buckingham Palace is expected to announce it tomorrow, when Mr Gates will speak at a conference on "Advancing Enterprise" organised by Mr Brown.

The controversial software company creator - whose commercial success has led to hatred of him among his competitors - is worth an estimated $40 billion (£22 billion). Microsoft is described as the "Evil Empire" by those who resent its grip on the computer industry.

More Info @ The Telegraph
By Robert Peston, City Editor
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Perhaps he is also being knighted for services to:

'Spammers - who could not exists without him'
''Virus writers -ditto the above'
'patch writers - mostly in his own company'

For without our dear Billy Boy, we would not have most of those around.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
N/A

Just shows that anyone can get an "honour" now.
Next on the list will be Blair, for his masterfull manipulation of the truth and expert liason with barmy Bush.
N/A

I was expecting first place at Crufts for blair.

As for Bill Gates, when what ya know. Do ya think it has anything to do with upcoming E-government projects and licencing?
michaelscott
Grafter

Linus Torvalds should get one, too IMO
N/A

'Spammers - who could not exists without him'
''Virus writers -ditto the above'
'patch writers - mostly in his own company'

As it happens, there was a news item on TV yesterday night (or was it early morning?) in which our Bill was announcing at a business conference in Switzerland, that he would have spam beaten within the next two years.

Then they showed some industry commentator, who basically said: "good, but that's the easy one -- what's he doing about viruses?"
N/A

BULL!
N/A

:?: Did we miss somthing :?:
N/A

spam beaten within the next two years

Ahem, this would be a feat of monolithic proportions

Time will tell...it always does - Although with half (sometimes more) of all mail gracing users inboxes being illegitimate, I fail to see this coming to fruition.

Craig
N/A

Whilst I disagree with Bill's "services to global enterprise" being worthy of an honour, I have to admit that his "services to Gates' bank balance" are to be admired (but not honoured). He HAS been enterprising and has built an impressive business. I wish I could do the same. Also, he did it in a country which encourages capitalism like no other on Earth and, once he achieved so much, has tried to pull it all apart for him.

Good luck to him. We don't have to buy his products and I suspect that many of us don't, but simply rip off a copy of Word (or whatever) "because we have to in order to be able to get things done"........