cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better monitoring of Sex Offenders

N/A

There is quite a discussion of this on the yahoo chat board, I just wondered what peoples feelings are on here..

Its a subject quite close to home for me, both against myself and people i love, so I cannot really be objective about it, just wondered what others think.

I would ask though that you keep from profanity in your comments, and personal attacks against others who disagree with you, if this happens i will ask the mods to lock the topic
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It is a tricky and sensitive subject.

I do think that the general public do need to be better informed of the whereabouts of these offenders.

This however leads to the "not in my back yard" debate. Nobody wants to live next door to a sex offender. However somebody has to. That is unless you keep them locked up forever.

This leads to another separate debate of sentencing for offenders. I have to admit that I am in the camp that beleives people should pay for their crimes, and the sentences handed out should mean the length of term they serve.

Life for instance should mean life. For murder, serial rape, child molesting etc, proven beyond doubt by DNA, I have to admit that I do often question if the death penalty should be reinstated.

I would not mind paying a little extra in tax to pay for the construction of larger prisons in order to house criminals for the duration of their sentences. I don't want them wandering round the streets with a fancy ankle bracelet after serving half their term.

With regard to sex offenders, we need strict categorisation for offenders, the most serious being put away for good, or put down.

Having not had anyone in my family become a victim of a sex crime, I am not in a position to state exactly what families want to see happen.
However, knowing my character, should anyone rape my missus, mother or indeed anyone else in my family, I am pretty sure that my own version of justice would involve the 3ft katana I have in the bedroom. That or a few grand payment to some of my more dubious associates resulting in pretty much the same outcome. Both no doubt resulting in a serious sentence for myself.

Sex offenders do need to be monitored more closely, and as I say people deserve to know who they have being moved into the area, but if the courts deem them to be rehabilitated, are we within our rights to know?

If someone was a drink driver who had run over and killed a child on a road, twice, would you want to know if they moved into your culdisac with a sports car? I would. But there is no list for this.

People envisage all kinds of sick acts when the words sex offeder are mentioned, but they cover a multitude of offences, ranging from the breif moment of absurd behavior which will haunt the offender for life, to a serial deviant who shows no remorse.

To sum up, my personal feelings are:

Sentences should be served in full - none of this namby pamby released early rubbish. That will cust down on admin and legal aid costs, which can help pay for more prison places.

Im pretty certain of supporting the death penalty for DNA proven murder / sexual / violent offences.

As for better tracking - yes. They need to be monitored.

Informing the local residents - Hmmm - this could open up a whole can of worms, but then if the offender reoffended without the local residents being informed until after the event, that the person had a history - expect future riots.
Alecto
Grafter

A shorter post than chesterfield's :lol: , but an important point is that paedophiles are paedophiles for life and cannot be cured; they can't help themselves. So to be safe from them, they either need to be locked up or killed. I can't find the reference, but it was criminal psychiatrists saying that, not me.

Secondly, so long as there is nothing to fear, crime will increase. Contrary to what the dogooders and PC brigade believe, it is only fear that keeps most people from committing crimes; and nowadays they don't fear detection as they're not likely to be caught/found guilty, and they certainly don't fear the punishment as it's nothing but a joke.

If thieves got a hand cut off, there'd be a lot less thieves; if burglars got their legs broken, there'd be a lot less burglaries.

You choose the society you want, and our lot have chosen for law-abiding citizens to live in fear and criminals to prosper. They call it "civilized".
N/A

Thanks for both of those constructive replies, both of which lead me to example...not my own, but someone i love dearly..

1 man raped two kids for 10 years...he was found guilty on 4 or 5 counts of child abuse. Sentanced to 6 years in prison (which is a joke in itself) then due to the stupid good behavior laws, he was released 2 years and 10 months into his sentance. And now lives less than 30 mins away from both his victims, so, he gets less than years of a sentance, and what do the kids get..LIFE!!

And thats about as objective as I can be Sad
Alecto
Grafter

It's like the do-gooders who got poor Tony Martin put in prison for killing that youth who'd been terrorising him and broke into his house.
There is no regard at all for the victim - it's supposed to be civilized.
In a truly civilized society, they would accept that people like that will never be any good to anybody, let alone to society, and have them put down. I don't see why we should have to live in a society alongside people whose sole aim is against our society.

In a much lesser way, Plusnet get shut of pr100 and co. for similar reasons. Not that they were criminal, of course, but it's a lesser version of the same approach. If all you're trying to do is bring us down, we don't want you around.
N/A

To put the above post in perspective I used to work behind a bar while I was in education.

One of the regulars in there served 2 years and 6 months for possesion of a class A drug. He wasn't a dealer, it wasn't a large amount. He was a nice chap. What he did he did in his own home. He had a full time job.

Shockingly similar sentance for crimes about as far appart as is possible, and you know what? I bet the guy I knew who used to like a few substances at the weekend will now think twice before buying any but your the majority of sex offenders will re-offend on release (current 'celebrity' in the news about this is a case in point.

I bet the guy I knew would not be pleased to learn that our legal system considers his offence to be similar to someone abusing children Sad thats sad.I rank child abuse (and rape) up there with murder and I don't think I can say it muchmore clearly than that.
N/A

mind you mate, without the likes of drugs users being banged up, I think sex offenders would get an easier time, we ALL know that sex offenders are behind supposedly locked doors, but occasionaly those doors get "mistakenly" left open, and thankfully others in there WHOEVER they are, do make a paedo's life that little bit more interesting!
N/A

I know what you're saying but I think it's truely terrible that such a disgusting crime gets punished ot that same level as a light drug user or similar.
Community Veteran

robynfali, that example makes me sick. Found guilty of 4 or 5 offences of raping/molesting children and they get 2.5 years!!!

People wonder why there is little faith in our judicial system. The other example of Tony Martin is good too, what a joke our legal/judicial system has become.

Some people may dissagree with me, and I am not advocating anyone else do this, but if someone I loved had been raped/molested, and their abuser had served a paltry sentence and now lived less than 30 mins away - he would be having a visit from someone who I think may be able to pursuade him to move.

Just as an aside (and one of my very slim claims to fame), my mother used to work with, and still is good friends with the wife of a bloke who was good friends with Ronnie and Reggie. A tedious link, but shows what a small world it is out there. I remember attending a birthday party with my parents where this woman, her husband and some of their friends were in attendance - it felt like being at a mafia meeting. Very uncomfortable.

Robynfali,

All you can do is offer your friend support if they need it. If this situation is making your friend uncomfortable, then you could approach citizens advice or even your local police consabulary and see what advice they can offer.
N/A

There is an alternative to keeping them locked up for life.
Neutering, and removal of the parts needed for the offence to take place.
However, these people and other criminals are a cash cow to the legal profession. There's big money to be made in defending them.
The justice system will not change because there are powerful people with a vested interest in it staying just as it is.
Remember, it's not about justice, it's about money.
The actual delivering of fair justice will always take second place
Also the organisations that monitor these perves need them out of jail to justify their own existence and budgets.
Come the revolution....
Community Veteran

All I'm going to say on this is the sentence given should be the sentence served. If the sentence is life; then it should be life not 20-30 years. If a sentence is 5 years then it should be five years not 2 and a bit.

As for what the sentences should be for various crimes; I'm staying outta that part of the debate ;-)
avalon
Grafter

I have only a couple of comments to make on this.

Firstly it's not the offenders who are released and living 30 mins away that you have to worry about. It's all those living a few streets away who haven't been caught yet. No amount of tagging or making the public aware of offenders locations will help in this regard. Most people convicted of sex offences have commited more than one before being caught. Sorry Robyn if this upset you but it is one of the sad facts of life.

Secondly, I agree that the modern touchy-feely society places too much emphasis on the rights of the individual and not enough on the needs of the wider community. What deterrance value do jails have for potential criminals when they are often more luxurious than the life they had outside. Jails should be austere, awful, places to be locked up in that no-one would ever want to suffer being inside for even a week. When prisoners can get awarded huge sums in damages because their human rights are infringed by "the degrading practice of slopping out" the world has truly lost its perspective.
Community Veteran

I agree with the above - prison should be a deterrent. Not a holiday.

I have seen Butlins holiday camps that have less facilities than a modern prison. Where is the deterrent in that?

A few years ago I had a tour around Alcatraz, I couldn't help but wonder if prisons were like this now, would crime levels drop. I certainly wouldn't want to be locked up in a place like that.

Now being locked up where I can play pool, watch TV, go to the gym, and have my three meals a day cooked for me, doesn't sound that much of a deterent. As northbritish says - that life is probably more compfortable than some of these people have at home!
Alecto
Grafter

On a related topic, did anyone watch The Sopranos? As well as being brilliant stuff, it raised a few fascinating moral dilemmas. For example:

Tony Soprano, New Jersey mafia boss, has a female psychotherapist. It's strictly business and she accepts only her standard fee. She won't get involved in anything shady.

She is raped by a druggie.
He is caught, but gets off on a technicality - they mixed up the words when reading his rights or some such nonsense - and is going round laughing at her. She is devastated, as you'd expect.

Tony finds out about it and asks her if she wants the guy "whacked".
What would you do?

There's no crime goes unpunished on Tony's patch (apart from when sanctioned by Tony of course) but at what price? What would he want in return? He's bound to want something, and it's usually to own you.

She says No, but you can see her wondering if she's done the right thing.

:roll:
N/A

Is the UK in the dark ages concerning Sex Abuse Justice????

Bit of a flippant reply but the uk itself is in the dark ages

As said previously there isnt much deterrant to commit crimes, and while the rest of us try to lead moral and crime-free lives, these scum bags are literally "getting away with murder"

I hate the law system in this country, no justice whatsoever, and the police are usually smug arrogant (people born out of wedlock) (my attempt to bypass the swear filter there) Wink who dont help or care

I agree 100% its down to money, i see more police trying to issue fines for parking, speeding etc that actually stopping crime or doing anything useful

Its a joke