cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Forum Software

sjkirky
Grafter

Best Forum Software

For those of you out there with a bit of forum hosting experience, I'd be interested to see what software you have found to be the best. I know F9 have recently switched to phpBB (and a massive improvement it has been) but we're all aware there are others out there.

So, cast your votes and give me your reasons, please!

From my point of view, I'd go with phpBB for ease of use, but Invision for completeness...
3 REPLIES
N/A

Best Forum Software

Here we go....this topic will never end I can tell you.

My personal preference is phpBB becuase, although it does not have as many features as vB or the others, it has amazing support for large communities, good customisation options, nice layout/interface, good options for all of it's current features and the ability to be integrated well into any design.

I'm sure F9 looked at all the systems available, they did the right thing and chose phpBB probably for the fact that it is free and can be integrated into their site - which has been done very well.

The forum code itself is very well produced and coded and everything works smoothly with few bugs. The default subSilver design is one of my favourites around and you can edit it and customise the layout pretty easily.

The support from members of phpBB.com is exceptional. They have some very good users over there. I used to post loads getting almost 2000 posts but now don't have the time. The community is very large and as such as many hundreds of posts each day. You can almost guarantee that your question will be answered that day.

I will always use phpBB and I can't wait for the next version to be released. That will beat anything else currently available.
sjkirky
Grafter

Best Forum Software

Here we go....this topic will never end I can tell you.

Yeah, you're probably right, but it'll be good to get a few views...

The forum code itself is very well produced and coded and everything works smoothly with few bugs. The default subSilver design is one of my favourites around and you can edit it and customise the layout pretty easily.

Agreed - I think the coding is extremely professional, and I don't think it's unfair to say that that's unusual for an open-source piece of software.

I also like the fact that you can download the Photoshop source of the subSilver theme and customise accordingly - see http://www.buckna.org/forum (more shameless self-promotion Cheesy) for my twist on this ability. Not terribly exciting, but it was done in about 10 minutes.

I will always use phpBB and I can't wait for the next version to be released. That will beat anything else currently available.

v2.2 is looking extremely good. I suspect much of its strength will be under the bonnet, but it will be good to see it in action...
N/A

Best Forum Software

Yes, although I can't really use Photoshop, it is nice to see the source available.

I've downloaded and tried 2.2 and it is amazing. I really can't wait for the release.....which is supposedly by the end of this year. Although 2.0.6 is out soon.