cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin F5D7630-4A Wireless router modem crashing - Resolved!

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Hello to anyone interested. Firstly, I am a novice with computers/networks/modems, their language and a lot of their technical terms, even though I have worked in radio communications over 35 years. I bought the above Belkin product and randomly had problems with it coming up 'network not connected' or 'a network cable is unplugged'. Sometimes every few minutes, sometimes every couple of days. After a bit of searching on Google, I came to conclusion like one or two others, it might be something to do with the firewall 'security log' filling up. Sure enough, monitoring this showed that after poss 28 to 36 'attacks' it would reset, causing a disconnection of about 45 to 60 seconds. Most annoying!!
I contacted Belkin, and a quick chat to an adviser confirmed the sheer amount of 'UDP flood to host' items I was experiencing were the probable cause. He then explained how to correct this by altering a setting in a hidden menu.
Since then, I have not noticed one disconnection, though as the log (slowly, I hope!) fills up, it will surely happen.
I am very pleased with the router. Currently use 1 wireless usb connected pc and one lan cable connected pc.
I had previously contacted Belkin, and though the problem was not resolved earlier (mostly my fault), I can only say how patient, polite and helpful their call centre operators in India are. It is a freephone number for landline phones and if they are busy, they ring you back!

I hope this is of help to someone!

Best wishes to you all,
robinh.

CONTACTS:
Mailto:euroescalation@Belkin.com

Tel:00 44 (0) 1933 352070
7 REPLIES
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Please don't ask me tech questions, but here's the info: I was given:

Go to
192.168.2.1/firewall_spi_h.stm

brings up (normally hidden) page Firewall>Client IP Filters

Under heading >DOS Detect Criteria
'Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP sessions number from same host' in the box, change to 30 (was 10).

Apply changes

Hope this helps someone,
robinh
N/A

Hmm, I wonder if thats what was causing problems with my router when my old (now deceased) server was running on it - the router would periodically reboot at random.
N/A

Hi

So how did you find out about 192.168.2.1/firewall_spi_h.stm ?

Regards

John
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Hi John,
Well, I did a search on google (can't remember exact info), one returned marketing info about launch of product, WITH E-MAIL & MOBILE OF A LADY IN SALES!
I sent e-mail, soon received phone call from rather anxious tech adviser asking how I got details?!!
Told him website details, (he was amazed at that!), THEN VERY HELPFULLY RAN ME THROUGH THE SOLUTION. Firm is based somewhere in Midlands.
A most efficient response and help with my problem. Very nice in these times where some people are only too quick to criticise a company or product.

Anyway, my router only rarely resets, which I can put up with. Other than this minor annoyance, I am very pleased with it. Currently run 1 pc on lan + 1 on lan or wireless usb adaptor (safecom). Both with xp. I repeat, I am not too well up on pc's, but it can be fun (and frustrating) learning. It gives me an interest.
Best regards, Robin
N/A

Hi

This link has loads of hidden goodies.,,,

http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1409&PN=1
marley

Hello!

I have owned the Belkin F5D7630-4A since December 2003 (when it first came out I think) and have only used it with F9 BB. I have a desktop PC wired to it and a laptop working wirelessly with it. The first few months of ownership were a nightmare and I almost sent it back to Amazon. I can't remember the exact problem but I remember I had to reboot the system myself to get it working again, quite often. Belkin then released the first firmware revision and that was fixed.

The problem now was it would reboot itself at random times! This could occur after only a few minutes use or after a number of hours. This continued for a number of months by which time I was looking to get a new ADSL router. Then by chance I noticed another firmware update on the Belkin site. After installing this latest firmware the router has NEVER rebooted. Although I dont leave it on 24/7 I can leave it on for up to 4 days and there has never been a problem. Interestingly the firware has not changed since then so I assume it is now fixed.

I wonder if the fix in that firmware happens to be what ROBINH has had to do manually?

I have put the link to the latest firmware update below. It is the same one I currently have in my Belkin router and performs really well.

http://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?download=F5D7630uk4A〈=1&mode=

The only issue I have is the router does not seem to support the "IP Blocks" that F9 allow you to have. The router only allows the internal router address to be of the form "192.168.x.x". Does anyone know a way around this?

Hope this helps too.

Cheers!

Lee Marley.
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks Lee, i will have to check that out sometime in the future, bit busy right now.
robinh