cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Utilization Graphs

astarsolutions
Grafter

I am trying to setup bandwidth and more importantly protocol monitoring for my network, I want to monitor network traffic at a router or any point in a network and produce graphs like the ones f9 have

http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/broadband_bandwidth_uage.shtml

Has anyone done this before or if anyone from f9 is reading this can you find out what system you use.

I currently use MRTG but this only shows up and down traffic not the protocol breakdown.

And before anyone says use RRD Tool this is a graphing tool only, I still need to collect the data first.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I went to look at the badnwidth chart after reading your post and ...

http://www.decibelnet.force9.co.uk/custom/pics/usage_25-04-06.jpg

Where did everybody go Huh? :shock:
astarsolutions
Grafter

I noticed this, I guess the program they are using has crashed!
Marteknet
Grafter

Goooooood old F9 :lol:
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This is probably way over your budget (the cost back then was over £1200 Sad ) but when I was a network administrator we use a product called Observer from a company called Network Instruments.

It does everything you want and more. It can collect data from any IP address, port, router, just about anything and store the data then produce usage graphs in any way you want. It has remote probes you can deploy over a network to a remote server and gather information from the remote system.

At the time it seemed overkill even for the company I worked for, but it was the only tool we could find that understood Token Ring networks as well as Ethernet and we had both.

Saved the IT department so much time it paid for itself in two years by almost stopping downtime in the Token Ring. Once I got used to what the displays were telling me I could even tell the individual computer that was causing a problem. We could fix the problem before the ring ground to a halt.

You can download a trial copy that will run in demo mode and also for a short time in real mode from the website.

Not much help but it might point you to similar products.

The only other course open to you is Linux and see what is available in Open Source.

Regards, Colin.