cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background work

N/A

Background work

My pc at fairly regular intervals seems for no reason to access its two hard drives, the problem with this is that because the pc is doing extra work the fan on the psu cuts in and stays on for ages. The fact that this fan sounds like a plane taking off is driving me crazy. I have a 1ghz athlon, 512mb ram, an abit KT7 raid m/b and running windows 98. Any ideas why this is happening or is there a cure.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Background work

> My pc at fairly regular intervals seems for no reason to access its two hard drives, the problem with this is that because the pc is doing extra work the fan on the psu cuts in and stays on for ages. The fact that this fan sounds like a plane taking off is driving me crazy. I have a 1ghz athlon, 512mb ram, an abit KT7 raid m/b and running windows 98. Any ideas why this is happening or is there a cure.

This problem is usually down to the programs that automaticly load when you boot up your computer. To find out what's currently running on your system, close any open applications and press [Control] + [Alt] + [Delete} to bring up the "Close Programs" dialog, you can see whats running then. For specific help on the programs that need to be there and those that you can disable from loading at startup, visit this site

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/

If you need further help on how to disable those nuisance programs then post here again and I'll tell you. Hope this helps.

By the way, if you have Anti-Virus software it might be worth doing a full scan of your hard drives as some viruses can cause an unnecessary amout of disk activity.

--
Life Is A Roller Coaster.
N/A

RE: Background work

> > My pc at fairly regular intervals seems for no reason to access its two hard drives, the problem with this is that because the pc is doing extra work the fan on the psu cuts in and stays on for ages. The fact that this fan sounds like a plane taking off is driving me crazy. I have a 1ghz athlon, 512mb ram, an abit KT7 raid m/b and running windows 98. Any ideas why this is happening or is there a cure.
>
> This problem is usually down to the programs that automaticly load when you boot up your computer. To find out what's currently running on your system, close any open applications and press [Control] + [Alt] + [Delete} to bring up the "Close Programs" dialog, you can see whats running then. For specific help on the programs that need to be there and those that you can disable from loading at startup, visit this site
>
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/
>
> If you need further help on how to disable those nuisance programs then post here again and I'll tell you. Hope this helps.
>
> By the way, if you have Anti-Virus software it might be worth doing a full scan of your hard drives as some viruses can cause an unnecessary amout of disk activity.
>
>
> --
> Life Is A Roller Coaster.

If you have MS Office installed then findfast is also guilty of this sort of thing as it picks quiet moments to index your hard drive so that documents can be accessed faster. easy to get rid of 'though as it is usually in your startup group.

Tim