cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's None existant Service

N/A

Our exchange was activated on 27th July and booked with F9 to come online Aug 4th - as expected BT's system didn't work due to being on a small island with a microwave link direct from the exchange - We tried to raise this possibility over a year ago with BT but got nowhere - BT cancelled a neighbours order who was going with BT due to 'a optical cable' - mine was delayed from the 4th to 12th due to there being a 'dacs on the line' - Then they said couldn't do 2mb and F9 asked for 1mb - We understand, but not from BT that the fault lies with the local end and they are not interested in a small island with only 27 folk.
Latest is (Closed : Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
Install diary status changed from Applied Fee Not Paid to BT Processing
Customer has already paid initial fee) - Not sure what that means and would appreciate it if someone could tell me in plain language. BT got £24million from Scottish Exec and upto £5million from ERDF funding to supply us with a service by the end of this year - There are 4 small islands with this problem even though BT stated that there would be no problem - 10 days ago a BT manager was to phone me back within 48 hours, needless to say he didn't. The best I get from them is to order BT broadband from them and then they will have a look. I don't think so. Anybody any advice? - Fortunately I have dial up that is between 48 & 52kbps as I rely on the internet for reading the newspapers - If we could get a definite answer out of BT then we could take it further with our MP. - - -Mick - Isle of Graemsay - Orkney
3 REPLIES
N/A

BT linking & service Ivan

Hello Mick,

Thats a quite a story you've got there, anyway as you will bye now realise getting BT to actually do anything even if they say they will do whatever, is like getting blood out of a stone. I didnt quite get the full picture are BT due to install a microwave link? or is the Microwave link already in place? And have I got this correct the ADSL travels over the microwave link from one local exchange back to the main land. Orkey's quite a remote location and I wonder if thats part of why they are dragging their feet?? But location shouldnt be the issue as I believe folks on shetland already have internet access but I'm not entirely sure what methods the technology uses, wireless I think too?

**You need someone who can put pressure on BT to pull there finger out and get your service up, MP?? not sure.

**Sadly BT are a law unto themselves and BT work on BT time which seems to operate outside the laws of the rest of known universe! Its exasperating to say the least and you have my deepest sympathese.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Hi Ivan - The Stromness exchange has broadband and we are linked to the exchange with a direct link over about 1.5miles. Trouble seems to be that the local end (Graemsay islands end of the microwave link) is not up to the job. When they replaced a faulty undersea cable about 12 years ago they said it would support all coming technologies. Then they updated (and possibly downgraded) the local end about 5 ago. The total of about £29 million was to give access to the Highlands, Shetland and Orkney with only one or two very remote areas to be left out. We were not on the list to be left out but our MP 'Jim Wallace then' was assured would be included. BT made it quite clear that they would not assist me unless I signed up with them but this does not make sense as they had already cancelled one of their own customers accounts. Seems like I might as well get some ditching done around the crofts, get BT to have to come out and mark their underground.cables. - Mick
N/A

BT Linking & ADSL Ivan

Hi Mick,

So your saying that you think your problems are the local i.e. Graemsay island end of the system in that your island exchange wont now support ADSL 1 or 2MB's even though BT said there cabling would support all future technolgies. Sorry have a got that right?? you have a working link to the main land but the island exchange is the bottleneck/problem and you cannot get BB because of this.

**Humm!! sounds to me like the moral of that tail is DONT believe any BT engineer who talks about supporting all future technolgies, especially not when it comes to computing or telecoms things change so fast its almost impossible to keep up now a days. I should now thats why I gave up working in IT I got sick of feeling like the pervebial hampster running on the spot to stand still!! Ditch digging sounds quite appealing but there again NOT in the dark as its getting late down hear.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!