cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT phone sockets

jabb0
Grafter

BT phone sockets

we used to have two fonelines running into our house, but did not need the 2 after a while so i got one cancelled.

When i asked BT to enable all the sockets in the house on the one number they said it would cost £50 to get someone to come out to do it, that wasnt including any other charge they cwould probably dream up, so i said leave it it as it is

And because the only working sokets are closest to me i spend a good part of the day answering the fone for other ppl and then having to go find them.

now this enabling thing, i got somthing like this done ages ago and they did it there and then with no charge, so i was surprised when they tried to charge me £50 for it, but they said it was cos everything was digital now, i took it at face value back then, but as of today my head is about to explode.

so being rather ingnorant as to telecommunications i am looking for some help, BT are not likely to give me advice which wont cost me more money - so i was thinking if i was armed with some info this time, i could get this done without costing me an arm and a leg.

just to be clear, all the sockets work, there has never been anything wrong with them other than my fone number doesnt make them ring.

In asking BT to enable all the sockets to ring when someone dials our number what exactly is it they have to do?

i cannot see why an engineer would have to come out to our house, and am especially confused at why they were able to do it from thier seat there and then before it all went digital and now they cant.

please help
11 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

BT phone sockets

Are there two master sockets ? one for each line & if so are they near each other because you will need to do a bit of simple rewiring to turn the other line into an extension which you then plug into the active master socket
jabb0
Grafter

BT phone sockets

ooo i like the sound of that, i have rewired the fone sockets around here to no end, so bringin out the BT guys just makes me feel like they is gonna tell-me-off or something.

No they are not exactly what you would call near to eachother, but they are both on the same level and any rewireing would be completely outa sight, all be it i would need to drill a big hole but that would be fun too.

One thing that concerns me a little is line attenuenation, simply cos the wires inside those sockets are teensy weensy.

But hey, it worth a go - its not going to cost me anything.

care to explain?

cheers

oh and PS any info on the original post is still very valid, cos this all sounds too good to be tru and ill prolly not get it to work. but not for the lack of trying.

oh and i really like when your working with the cable and someone rings, BZZZZT!
vic_newey
Grafter

BT phone sockets

the simplest way to do this is by disconnecting the wire from the inactive master socket.
You could then either fit it into the active master socket by adding a short length with a phonejack & that would involve splicing & taping the wires together or taking the front off & connecting the wires direct, ( needs a special tool to insert wires )
but why not follow the wire back to the next phone socket & replace it with a new length with prefitted jack ? presumably all your other phones would then be working
jabb0
Grafter

BT phone sockets

cool will do cheers,

And i have the little tool thingymabob
Community Veteran

BT phone sockets

Yes it would be simple to do this yourself, theres lots of wiring diagrams and help on wiring these sort of things up on the Internet. You do need to make sure you connect them properly and it can be a bit of a pain with some of the connectors.

One thing to note is that although you can reuse the extension sockets, the master socket from your disconnected line can not be converted to an extension for the other line.

To be fair to BT £50 isn't an unreasonable price to have any tradesman come in and spend an hour doing work, including the time to get there and back as well as parts and possible tools needed etc. I had my TV fixed a few weeks back (if there's one thing I dont like doing is stuff inside a TV and he charged us £10 for parts and £40 for labour. It only took him 20 mins and the part (voltage regulator) probably only cost him about a pound at most.

Chris
jabb0
Grafter

BT phone sockets

yeah if there was need for a dude to come out i can see the need to pay him, im not that stingey LOL.

But my query was "why the need?", methinks i might just have got a helpdesk-drone on the end of the fone the last time who replies thats gonna cost £50 for someone who might actually know wot ur talkin about to come out an look at it - and any queries to that statement get the reply "because it all gone digital"
pacem
Grafter

BT phone sockets

If you're not up to doing any re-wireing then simply buying a couple of BB filters should do the job. Internal phone wiring uses a 3 wire system, 1 wire is for ringing, but its voltage is supplied by a capacitor in the master socket which is taken off the other two wires. You can place this capacitor anywhere along the wire. Many BB filters only use 2 wires to connect to the socket they're in but they have the ring-capacitor in them as well so they can provied a 3 wire connection to the phone and be sure there is no interference generated by the ring wire.

(The ring capacitor went in a 2 wire extension of mine and pluging in a spare BB filter fixed the ringing.)

Paul.<><
jabb0
Grafter

BT phone sockets

cool now that worth a go Cheesy
vic_newey
Grafter

BT phone sockets

If you're not up to doing any re-wireing then simply buying a couple of BB filters should do the job. Internal phone wiring uses a 3 wire system, 1 wire is for ringing, but its voltage is supplied by a capacitor in the master socket which is taken off the other two wires. You can place this capacitor anywhere along the wire. Many BB filters only use 2 wires to connect to the socket they're in but they have the ring-capacitor in them as well so they can provied a 3 wire connection to the phone and be sure there is no interference generated by the ring wire.

(The ring capacitor went in a 2 wire extension of mine and pluging in a spare BB filter fixed the ringing.)

Paul.<><

Yes but remember that the master socket that the extensions run off is dead & he cannot avoid rewiring in some form to connect to the active line which is in another part of the room

JABBO ! I thought you would have got this sorted by now lol
jabb0
Grafter

BT phone sockets

ok my mian problem is i have got 2 very important exams coming up which will see me finish my long educational haul - i feel like the eternal student man Shockedops:

The second is with the big hole i need to drill between the two houses - if me da sees me coming into the house with a drill bit that BIG ill have alot of explaining to do :roll:

we never listen to him anyways (im surprised this house is still standing) but its just easier not setting him off on one.
N/A

BT phone sockets

OK,
what I'd do is;
Go outside! There is normally a junction box where both of the BT lines come into the house, identify which one is the working one (multimeter, cable route or trial and error!) then patch the wire from the working one, into the none working one too (making sure to disconnect the none working one from the exchange first) hey presto - ish
Thats basically what you wanted BT to do in the first place if I understand correctly, and when it was just voice on lines, they could do it easily enough at the exchange end, but these days because error and noise margins are so much tighter, they would always want to do it at your house end to keep SNR etc to a minimum.