cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Broadband and access to F9 mailboxes

N/A

The company I work for has an F9 account. However, I sometimes work from home, from where, using a 56k modem and an F9 dial-up number, I could previously access my F9 individual email box (part of my company's email box system) quite happily. But now that I have signed up for BT Broadband (from my home) I can, it seems, no longer send emails from home via the F9 server.

Is there a solution to this problem, or is it an inevitable consequence of no longer connecting to the Net via a specific ISP, but instead connecting via a non-F9 broadband service? All advice gratefully received.

Richard
20 REPLIES
N/A

If you have a BT account, you should specify BT's SMTP server for SENDING all your mail -- you should not use relay.force9.net.

If you continue to use your Force9 email address on mail you send, then any replies from people with whom you correspond will get sent to your Force9 mailbox. To collect this, you therefore need to specify the Force9 POP3 mail server (mail.force9.net) and your force9 account anme and password for RECEIVING mail.

To put this slightly differently: sending and receiving are two separate issues. For sending, you use the SMTP server of the ISP you're using for Internet access (which normally simply relays your mail without requiring any sign-on to the server itself). For receiving mail, you need to consider the email address you're using when you send mail, for that will determine where people will send replies, and, therefore, the system from which you need to collect those replies. This uses a POP3 server, for which you need to specify an account (or account+mailbox) name and password, as well as the POP3 server name, of course (mail.force9.net for Force9).
N/A

Replying to task's response

Dear task,

Thanks for your reply ... however, it does not address my problem, possibly because I did not explain things properly.

I understand everything you've said re. SMPT and POP3 servers, passwords etc. My settings in Outlook have not been changed from their pre-broadband settings (when they worked just fine), and they include all of the correct details for the F9 account. But they no longer work.

I have been told, by an F9 customer support person, that this is because I am no longer accessing the Net via the F9 ISP (nor any other ISP come to that), but am now instead accessing the Net through a (non-F9) broadband service, which by definition is (so I'm told) non-ISP specific, and that therefore I am no longer allowed to access F9's SMPT server. When I click on Send/Recieve (in Outlook) it successfully finds the F9 SMPT and POP3 servers, but can't actually log onto these. Is there a solution?
N/A

Yes: the answer is that you do need to change your settings in Outlook.

Mail Support in Outlook (as distinct from Outlook Express) can be configured in two ways: as either "Internet Only" or as "Corporate or Workgroup" and there are some differences in setting up mail accounts depending on which you use. I use "Corporate or Workgroup", which means, from the Tools menu, I have an entry called "Services" from which I can access my email accounts; the Force9 Outlook Setup page seems to be based on the "Internet Only" option and shows the "Tools" menu as having an "Email Accounts" option (even though the descriptions says select "Services"!). Whichever, type you're using, you need to find the setup for your mail account and adjust it to reflect the ISP you're using to connect to the Internet. The important bit the the part relating to the mail servers. Mine looks like this (the one on the Force9 page referred to earlier is somewhat different, but the same fields can be identified):

Notice that the "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" server is shown as relay.force9.net. Because you connect to the Internet through BT rather than Force9, you will not be allowed to use this server -- as explained to you by the Force9 Support people. (This is to prevent people using the SMTP server for spam purposes; because you connect to the Internet through BT, you are not assigned an IP address associated with Force9, so they can determine you are not one of their customers, and they will not permit you to use their facilities for sending email.) Therefore, you need to change the name shown here to whatever BT has told you is their "SMTP server" or "outgoing mail server" (if it requires you to supply a username and password, you will also need to select the "My server requires authentication" under the "Outgoing Mail Server" heading and click the Settings button [which will become enabled] to enter the details). Assuming you do not change your email address associated with the account, incoming mail will still end up in your Force9 mail box, therefore you need to leave the "Incoming mail (POP3)" server, and the Incoming Mail "Account name" and "Password" options unchanged.
N/A

Hi Richard

To send email through the F9 servers, you have to be logged onto their system in one way or another. That could be the unmetred dial up account, broadband or 0845. If you are trying to send email through F9's servers while logged into BT, it will fail. This is done to try and prevent spammers using their network for junk mail. As a customer, If you are logged into their system, they can prevent you from sending email if your were spamming. If Joe Public were allowed free access, there would be no control. You will however, still be able to collect email from an F9 account whilst connected elsewhere.

Probably your best bet would be to use the WebMail facility at home as I am lead to believe that if you try to set up OE on BT with a "reply to" address other than their extension, it will not allow it to be sent either. I think if you wish to send via F9, you will need to connect via 0845 unless you migrate your ADSL back to F9.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Mark / "didit" : Interesting point about BT also requiring the use of a BT email address. Are you aware if this can this be circumvented by using the facility of Outlook shown below:

The significant thing is that for the "E-mail address" the BT address is used (thereby satisfying the BT requirement), but in addition the "Reply address" is completed, specifying the Force9 account to which replies are to be sent.
N/A

Hi Task

I am just recounting the many posts I have read on alt.internet.providers.uk about this problem, specifically with BTO. All responses on that NG over the past 12 months have said the same thing, that it can't be done. If it can, then please forgive me, I have never had to try. When I was with NTL I could fill in the "reply to" address and it worked fine.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Mark / "didit": I'm no wiser than you on this, I assure you -- I'm just suggesting the things I'd try. Presumably, we'll get the definitive answer from Richard / "cpcab" when he tries it.
N/A

Perhaps a more interesting question here too would be - why did they choose BT over F9 for their broadband in the first place? :?:
N/A

Why not click here to upgrade Smiley

It is free (from Force9's point of view) to transfer) and prices start from £14.99 per month, with excent service - I used to be with BT and know what they are like Sad

You can find out more about migraton here migration here but should definitely click here to migrate - it's worth it Cheesy
N/A

Thats a bit diabolical, I could easily have put a referral tag on too but I think its a bit of a cheap shot to do that. :x
N/A

Thats a bit diabolical, I could easily have put a referral tag on too but I think its a bit of a cheap shot to do that. :x

Perhaps I should be Shockedops: .

The idea of forums is that we all help each other - I was offering help. If as a result I am helped with a few pence each month off my monthly account from Force9 at no cost to you or any one else why are you so upset. :?:

As HAL says to Dave in 2001 "I think you should sit down, take a stress pill and think things through" Wink

Now, I don't want you to be upset. If the remote chance of my receiving a My Referral credit on my account is so threatening and makes you feel , post again and say so and I will ask the moderator to remove the link, or better still, change it for a My Referal for you.
Your peace of mind is worth my not receiving 25p a month (or 50p if it was a premier), I will be only too glad to ask for you. Cheesy
N/A

u tell em revolving doors, referals aint that good, my mate refered me and he got nothing, they gave some excuse about the type of account I have (i think its an easystart?!!?! :roll: ) It aint all been plain sailin on f9 for me either, had a few connection issues but hey wont you get that everywhere from time to time! Im online now so what am i wingin about :lol:
N/A

Sorry, im just bitter because one person I referred closed his account and the other one is an easystart even though he immediately upgraded to 1Mbit F9 STILL dont give you any money for it. Cheeky considering they must make the same money as easystart simply adds the monthly cost of the hardware on top rather than paying it in a single lump sum.
N/A

The thing to bear in mind is that once a referral is made to an account, it is there for life. If the referred user later upgrades their account, or in te future we find a way to allow a referral discount on this product, that will apply to you immediately.

This was posted on the 8th January this year. As you see, your referral has upgraded their account and therefore you should be receiving a referral amount (so long as it wasn't another easystart product).

Regards

Mark