cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autoupdate

Community Veteran

Autoupdate

Hi

I don't know if anyone can help on this one.

My son's computer is set to autoupdate on WinXP SP2, but it doesn't seem to be updating, and when he goes to the update web site, he gets an error.
Has he accidentally deleted/uninstalled something?
If so what?

I don't really want to reinstall XP if I can help it, because unlike previous versions, X P Home doesn't seem to be able to just reinstall over the top, correcting any problems, and leaving everything else intact. The only way would be to reinstall (thereby replacing the Windows folder), and then reinstall all hardware and software.

Not a 5 minute job!

Any ideas?

John Cry
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Autoupdate

My son's computer is set to autoupdate on WinXP SP2, but it doesn't seem to be updating, and when he goes to the update web site, he gets an error.
Has he accidentally deleted/uninstalled something?
If so what?

I'm not sure I could offer much help in any case, but as a general rule it's only possible to offer meaningful support with a decent amount of information to go on - in this case, what exactly is the error message, and at what point in the process does it appear?

Also, is he trying to go to the update web site using the shortcut on the Programs menu in XP, or is he entering the URL in his browser (I assume IE is his default browser if so), and if the latter, what URL is he entering?

Peter
Community Veteran

Autoupdate

Thanks for the reply.

He my son uses the tools menu in Internet Explorer. I've just tried it again and it seems to be wotking ok, whether that's because of the new page set up i don't know.

He had been using autoupdate as well, but that wasn't working either, it just came up with an error message, when it tried to operate.

Thanks again

Smiley John
N/A

Auto Update Ivan

Hello John,

Do you get any specific error mesages when you try windows update? and are you using XP home or XP PRo?

Please note the following things: when going to the windows update website you must have the following things enabled in windows for the update site to work for you.

1) Winthin windows XP (goto, start button,start menu, settings,control panel, within control panel, see administrative tools, inside admin tools, see services. Open up the services applet, look in the long list of the system services,see "Automatic updates" make sure that this service is set to "automatic" and that the service is then started. Otherwise Yes! windows update site will fail on you.

2) also useful with the above, enable BITS (background intelligent transfer service) set to automatic or manual & start the service too.

3) also useful with the above, windows installer service (as above) either auto & started or manual & started.

4) You will also need to enable the following within your browser (such as IE6 or Firefox), in IE6. goto tools,internet options,security tab,custom level button, click on the custom button, next see in the listing of various items, now make sure you enable ActiveX controls are enabled for those marked as safe, also plugins etc.

Try this and see if windows update site still gives you the same errors? this should help.
let me know?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!