cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad

N/A

AutoCad

Hi
Like to hear from anyone that uses autocad, am running LT.
"Plotting problems & plt.files"

Cheers
10 REPLIES
N/A

AutoCad

I use 2002 LT and 14, and have used 2000. What problems are you having ploting?
N/A

AutoCad

Hi
plt.files, is a plot to file these are transfered via email to a printing Co. who view the plot, scan and print.
Some of the drawings are ok, some come out very grey, thin lines.
before I send to plot I check in plot preview everything looks ok. The plot retains the lineweight settings on my machine. most colours are set at default. The printing Co. can not alter any settings, so am not sure where the problem lies. These drawings are A1, I have plotted same at home as A3 and everything seems ok. Strange :!:
Hope I have explained the problem.
Do you use Cad at work or home, am running LT 2002,

Cheers
N/A

AutoCad

Hi dwtechservices

I print drawings for a friend that e-mails them to me so I dont think you should have any problems there.

Can the printing Company’s plotter print different line weights, greyscale, etc not all plotters can.

I had a similar problem before I got an A1 printer. I use to use a local printing company that has an Architects/ Surveyors practice above it that would plot drawings for the printers. Like you I would spend quite some time formatting my drawings messing around with line weights, shading, etc. On screen all looked fine and test plots on the A4 deskjet confirmed this, but when I received the plots from the printers all the lines were the same thickness and plot was in monochrome. I later found out the plotter being used could not print much of the formatting I had applied to the drawing.

I use cad for a sort of hobby/business at home, doing Planning and Building Regulation drawings for submission to the local authority, loft conversions, extensions, etc. How about you?

The A1 printer I now use is the hp Designjet 100 they are very expensive, mine cost me £880 + vat about a year ago. But when you think I used to pay £10 per plot plus £1.85 per copy for A1 drawings I was better off getting 1. My current printing costs are about 42p per sheet for A1, when you think 6 copies of the drawing for planning, 2 copies for BR and x copies for the client and builder/s it made a lot of sense to get 1.
N/A

AutoCad

Hi Steve
I am a retired Building services engineer (local authority) doing a little work for various contractors M&E type stuff "working drawings / as installed / odd design job", adds to pension, beer money and all that.

Back to the plots, they are plt. files(which should retain all my settings- lineweights etc) this company I use, the machine they use is Kip Technology (Japan), the machine scans the plot and prints an image so the plot is not opened in autocad, so its not a true autocad plot, its more like an A0 scanner. Has caused me a problem, have reconfiged ctb files etc. The problem is clients are not happy with the plots.
Have put dwg files on CD and plotted on another machine linked to an A1 plotter no problem, but as you said its £5-£10 a plot (m/chrome - colour) think you have made a wise move purchasing your own A1 plotter.
Do you not have problems with the cartridges drying out if not used for a while, or are you so busy they don't get chance. Where did you purchase from?

Regards
Derek
Community Veteran

AutoCad

Can I suggest that dwswitches emails a copy of a known bad print to mole3 who could print it and see if the problem still happens.
This would give you some idea where to look. Cool
N/A

AutoCad

Hi John
Thanks for the suggestion, but I can plot both on A3 / A1 and there is no problem, as I have indicated an autocad plt. file (plot to file not to a plotter) the files are printed (scanned) by this machine not using autocad.

If mole3 has volo-view then I could send him a dwf file, that he could plot / print but not alter(my settings), but to send a dwg. file would be no good, cause on his machine the dwg. file would assume (for want of a better word) all the settings on his machine i.e. lineweights (default etc) would depend on his pen settings as to how the plot came out, that is unless I sent a list of my settings.
A Cad is very complex, very good to use, but can cause no end of problems if not set correctly.
first time I have had problems in the last 10 years using the programme.
Community Veteran

AutoCad

Ok I think I understand what you mean now.

I was assuming that the print house used the file on Autocad to print it with their A1 machine. Not scanning then using other software.
It looks then as though the problem is in the scanning of the files.
Now to pove this is it possible for whoever receives the files to put them back unto a Autocad machine and print them using A1.

If this is possible my wife works at a small firm that uses AutoCad light and I could try a print for you at A1 this would prove that the losses where not in the conversion of file type.
N/A

AutoCad

Hi john
No a plt. file can not be taken back into Autocad its similar to the (dwf. file. which can be viewed and printed in volo-view, without altering the settings).
Autocad drawings can also be saved as correct me if i'm wrong as pdf files jpeg etc, all can be viewed using different viewing options, to confuse matters more there are dxf. files ( which can be imported in to Autocad).
No I think the problem is, has been with the Autocad settings on my machine, have tried various tests, reset several defaults within Autocad.
The only answer is to purchase my own plotter.............thats mi pension gone for a few months..................laugh
Thanks for the offer

Regards
Derek
Community Veteran

AutoCad

The only answer is to purchase my own plotter.............thats mi pension gone for a few months..................laugh
Thanks for the offer

Regards
Derek

Ok it looks like I cant help then Sad
I know what you mean though about the cost of the A1 plotter . Cry They have just bought a new one at the firm my wife works for, and it was certainly not cheap.
N/A

AutoCad

Hi Derek

I do have a copy of Volo view so by all means feel free to e-mail me test dwf file as suggested.
postmaster@mole3.plus.com

I purchased my plotter from a local paper/office equipment supplier. A place near Billericay in Essex, I will dig out their details and PM you.

I must do 2 maybe 3 jobs a month on average so the plotter gets used fairly regularly, much like yourself I only really do it for a bit of beer money, pays for plusnet etc. I think the longest it has been left unused is around 6 weeks, no drying out problems in fact it has worked without fault since purchase.