cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto internet logon

qwertybum

Auto internet logon

Can my wip tech logon system be changed so's I'm logged onto the internet as soon as I boot up my computer instead of having to do it manually?
Sorry if this is a daft question, I'm not very computer literate.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Making a auto dailup at boot Ivan

Hello qwertybum

The answer is YES! and you should be able to do this by making a windows shortcut (make a copy of the DUN thats dialup networking), then once you've made this shortcut you simply copy or move this file into your startup folder within your windows user profile.

**The user (your) profile is to be found under c:\documents and settings\your_user_name\start menu\programs\startup So any file placed into the startup folder is launched when windows is booted up (thats every time).

**Make sure that your "username & password" are remembered by the DUN & you do this by checking the tick box on the DUN. Also make sure you have either the correct phone number written in (if dailup) or the correct parameters for Broadband written in (Otherwise it will fall over or fail on this). You could test that the DUN works before you make the short cut file and before you copy it into your profile.

**PS: The DUN is found in start menu, settings,control panel,network settings, your ISP connection (dun) well this is in windows XP anyway.

**The DUN is the file that you run in order to make the connection from your machine to your ISP or in this case Free Online,etc.

Hope this isnt too technical and that you might be able to follow this?? Let me know otherwise.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
qwertybum

Wip Tech

First of all Ivan, thanks for the help so far!
I can see what you're saying but am having problems finding the DUN I've to make a copy of?
After following your p.s. to the network settings, I get 5 options to click on.
These are:
Network setup wizard
New connections wizard
ATM connection
Local area connection
Wip Tech.

Which of these should I copy and place into my startup folder?
I found that folder okay (Do I get a Blue Peter badge?) Wink
My ISP is 'Free-online', by the way.
Sorry to be a pain, but I did warn you that I'm a thickie!

Thanks again for the help so far, I really appreciate it!

Graham.
N/A

More on DUN etc Ivan

Hello Again,

No Problem!! NOT everyone can be upto speed with all the in's & out's of techie stuff (shame more people dont remember this too!!). You did fine to find the networking settings ( the DUN is actually the item marked /lablled "Wip Tech") Well done to get that far!! YES! VERY BIG blue peter badge (down sheppy down!!! :-)

Further instructions:-

1) Go back to your networking settings as before now you know where it is, next take the mouse and just highlight the item wip tech. (Dont run it?? No!!)

2) with the mouse on the item, now right click (using the right mouse button) with the mouse, you should now get a small pop up menu. This is called a floating menu in windows terminology.

3) On the floating menu that appears you should see "COPY" select copy, and yes! copy the item wip tech.

4) Once you have copied the item wip tech. Go back into windows explorer and now navigate your way to your windows user profile. You will find this at the following place.

C:\Documents and Settings
Documents and Settings\your_User_name
Your_User_Name\Start Menu
Start Menu\Programs
Programs\StartUp

5) Next, once you have found the folder inside your profile called Startup, with your mouse click anywhere inside the folder (it might already have one or two other items inside it thats fine!!), once again right click with your mouse (RT button again) now select paste from the floating menu, your wip tech short cut (DUN) should now be copied into this folder. Now everytime you start windows up the DUN should fire up and connect you to FOL & the internet.

Hope you can follow the above and that it all makes sense too you (down sheepy get down boy!! :-)

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
qwertybum

As before

Hi Ivan.
Thanks again for your help, but I'm afraid we've both been guilty of flagellating an equine necrofile! (We've been flogging a dead horse!)
I tried your last suggestion but still couldn't get it to work, so I contacted my ISP and a copy of the reply is pasted below. Cry

We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support
Centre has now escalated your ticket [number 17282552 ]
for further investigation/resolution.
The following comment was added to the ticket
Dear Mr Cutler,
I'm fairly confident that there is not a way to do this i'm afraid. As a check, you could look through your user manual but usually with usb modems, you have to manually connect.

Well bugga me with the blunt end of a rag-man's bugle!
But at least we tried, Ivan - for which I thank you!
It's most reassuring to know there's someone out there to help you!

Thanks again,

Graham :lol:
N/A

Auto Connection & Auto Login Ivan

Hi Graham,

The reply you got is well frankly absolute *ollocks and rubbish, its perfectly possible to have your machine automatically login you in to FOL when you boot up your machine.

Look you use the DUN manually to make a dialup connection when going online, the only difference is that you have to go click with the mouse. Now provided the DUN has retained your username & Password (by ticking the check box that says remember my details for future use) and that the modem/router is powered on and that the DUN is placed in your profiles startup group. When you boot your machine it should connect you and log you in and if you have any further doubtes you can enable auto-login on your FOL account. But I have no doubtes that this IS entirely possible & should work.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator