cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance Please ........ (S)VHS Video >> DVD

Metalguru
Grafter

I have some cracking old movies on Video.

The missus has asked me if I can convert them onto DVD's.
( Looks much better on the shelf).

I obviously have a video recorder and a standard PC.

What other stuff do I need to be able to do what she wants?

Can anyone help me with some minimum hardwear and software requirements please?

I have been thinking along the following lines:-

Can I (in some way) connect my video recorder to my PC and export the film from my video player on to my hard drive ?

If so what connection hardware & software do I need to do this ?

How many Gb's does an (S) VHS film take up ?
(There is a lot of blood in ZULU).

Once I have the film on my hardrive, from there I assume I need a DVD writer (and appropriate software) to create a DVD copy of the film.

It would need to be created in a format suitable for bog standard DVD players.

One last point................... Is what my missus wants me to do legal ?
(It rarely is) Wink
60 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Right you would need some sort of converter form analouge to digital such as this

A scart to composite cable (or composite cable with a scart adaptor).

Software comes bundled with the above but you may want to try ulead video studio.

You will need the DVD burner (makesure it's multiformat) and blank DVDs.

Can't remember how much space on your HDD it will take but it's lots!

Don't know exact min spec for this sort of thing but I have done similar on a 1.2ghz celeron laptop with 256mb ram however I would recommend regardless:

Getting more RAM. (not expensive)
and you will want a good processor.
Also the more HDD room the better.

just follow through the software you choose one video at a time and then good luck. (It may take a while to render at the end before you burn the disc hence more ram and good processor as they will speed this up as they speed the machine up).
N/A

Re: Assistance Please ........ (S)VHS Video >> DVD

(There is a lot of blood in ZULU).

Zulu must be one of the best films ever made, and you get to see it every Christmas and Easter also.
madswitcher
Grafter

Another way to look at it is

(a) get a cheap DVD recorder and connect it directly to the VHS tape player

(b) Get a hard disc recorder that has a DVD writer in it - you can also use this to record tele to a hard disc, edit it and then blow to DVD for archiving.

Whatever you do, you make hit the copyright protection which will prevent you from copying tape to DVD, although there are ways to get around this (I am told)

Cheers, Mike
Community Veteran

Why not download the movies you already own off the internet and record them onto dvd, it should be perfectly legal to do so since you already own them on video. That way you also get DVD quality.

One other possible solution would be to buy them on dvd from places like play or Amazon. They are often so cheap to buy and you then get them in the nice boxes. This is what I've now done with the vast majority of videos. The rest live in a cupboard on the off chance we want to watch them.

Just some possible solutions to save time.
LiamM
Grafter

I love play.com....

Shame delivery is sometimes longer than expected.
Metalguru
Grafter

TEAM.

Thanks for the advice.

I see (via the www) I can pick up a new DVD of ZULU for £7.49.

I can't find THE QUIET MAN presently available on DVD in the UK ('cept on e bay) and HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY seems a bit pricey (£12 +).
But CLOCKWORK ORANGE looks good value at under 8 quid.

Anyway, bearing in mind that I have first got to purchase some extra bits of hardware, and then the time it will take doing all the work involved, maybe buying new DVD's of all my films is the best bet.

I have searched the www and found a few business that would accept my old Vids , and they send them back to me as DVD's.

Has anyone tried such a service ?
N/A

Why not download the movies you already own off the internet and record them onto dvd, it should be perfectly legal to do so since you already own them on video. That way you also get DVD quality.

So it's legal to download pirate dvd's if you already own them on VHS? :?

I'll have to remember that one.

"Yes M'Lud, I have a video of that film somewhere. Can I have 24 hours to go and buy one at a car boot sale for £1.99...err...I mean find my copy at home?"
Community Veteran

I have searched the www and found a few business that would accept my old Vids , and they send them back to me as DVD's.

Most of these would reject copyrighted material.

I would suggest that ebay would be your best option.

Chilly
N/A

The best way is to get a TV card you then plug your video into it and play the movie. The card comes with software to record it(or you can use somthing like Ulead or Pinnacle).

You then burn it to dvd with somthing like nero which will convert it to dvd.

The only down side is its poor quality compared to dvd
N/A

So it's legal to download pirate dvd's if you already own them on VHS? :?

I'll have to remember that one.

"Yes M'Lud, I have a video of that film somewhere. Can I have 24 hours to go and buy one at a car boot sale for £1.99...err...I mean find my copy at home?"

yes it is legal, as with many similar things. Though, it is illegal to distribute it.

But it is only legal if you are downloading the EXACT same thing. So this excludes any bonus footage included on the dvd
Community Veteran

Yes just the same way its legal to download MP3s of things you already have on CD. Something I've done a few times since its sometimes easier to download it than to find the CD and convert it to an mp3.
Its totally legal to make copies of something that you own for your own benefit / use as a backup or to keep your original safe. Something that used to be encouraged in the days of floppy disk software.

Chris
Community Veteran

yes it is legal, as with many similar things. <snip>
But it is only legal if you are downloading the EXACT same thing. So this excludes any bonus footage included on the dvd

Yes just the same way its legal to download MP3s of things you already have on CD. Something I've done a few times since its sometimes easier to download it than to find the CD and convert it to an mp3.
Its totally legal to make copies of something that you own for your own benefit / use as a backup or to keep your original safe. Something that used to be encouraged in the days of floppy disk software.

Chris

I think that you will find that it is illegal to copy any copyrighted material without the copyright holders’ permission. Even if it is for your own personal use.

Often copyrighted material particularly software as accompanied with a license. This details what you are permitted in terms of copying. For example allow one copy for backup use.

Copyright infringement is a civil* offence, so the likelihood of being taken to court for copying a CD that you own for personal use is very low. And as action is to reclaim damages, you could easily argue that you would not have purchased a second copy there is no loss to the copyright holder.

* I am not sure how millennium copyright laws affect this.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Yes looks like I was wrong. Doesnt happen often though, I hope Smiley

http://copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law shows the relevent laws, but Im sure this wouldnt stop people from copying stuff for thier own purposes, just like everytime I've lent a CD to someone else I havent wrote to the copyright owner first Smiley
Community Veteran

I think you'll find the personal use thing is american law ;-)