Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artexing: how do i remove it.....

N/A

:x

Lo ppl, well I hope.

Um right here goes, some years ago Mum decided in order to tackle my design ideas that I had inflicted upon my room, that she and a friend would (while I was away at uni) cover over my lovely BLACK GLOSS paint job (walls and ceiling) with a lime green painted artex. The stuff is everywhere and I hate it, I mean it is only slightly less green than the mucus you may expell when you have a cold (thought I'd put it like that in case any kiddy-winks were reading).

So the question as the title of this post suggests is how do I remove it or can you suggest ways of covering it (and before some smart alec says it, not with more artexing).

Cassian
8 REPLIES
N/A

please be careful if you was to remove it as some peeps sand it down
and some of the particles in the older (years gone by stuff) is harmful if inhaled

myself i would unibond the walls and have it reskimmed with plaster
if you can find a resonable priced plasterer these days as they getting short
in numbers and are hard to find

but please be careful if you was to remove it

takecare

Rob
N/A

Thank you for the reply.

The stuff is only about three years old so it wouldn't be too harmful. But thank you for the concern and your idea of getting it replastered is kind of what I thought might have to happen but I wanted to make sure.

Cassian
N/A

If you could put up the actual artex for a while, you can just paint it a different colour.

Cheaper option for now.

Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

Don't even think about trying to remove it. It will be incredibly messy and very hard to get back to a good finish. Plastering over will be much easier.
channel
Grafter

Agreed. If you try and remove it you will be on a hiding to nothing.

Plasterboard is an excellent option for the ceilings. Some plasterers will suggest plasterboard for the walls, too, but I would resist that... it's quite easy to knock a hole in it when you are moving your wardrobe.
N/A

aertex

Actually I would have a go at removal - if they put it straight onto gloss paint you might find that it hasnt stuck all that well.

have a go with a wallpaper scraper. If you can get under it it might come off OK.

Also theres a lot of stuff that all get s called aertex, some is rock hard some is flexible - depends what you actually have.

you could ask at screwfix or askthetrades.
N/A

Do you know when the artexing was done? as older aertex can contain asbestos and needs to be professionally removed, with everyone out of the house.
Julie
Grafter

Aaron,
OP said it was done about three years ago Smiley

Cassian
I personally had a big wall re-plastered that was covered in artex, it wasn't that thick though and the pattern was very fine.
I did have it done by a proffessional ...so maybe that is your best and safest option What ever you decide to do, take care Smiley