cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone?

N/A

Anyone?

can anyone tell me the way round the problems with ICQ/MSN/Netmeeting/yahoo file sending? the things just tell me they cannot connect directly to the user. I also need to open ports 2000 - 2003 for another program I use.

I am using the 3Com router
--
Check out
www.komputers4kids.co.uk
www.free-n-easy.org.uk
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Anyone? A SORT OF REPLY

> can anyone tell me the way round the problems with ICQ/MSN/Netmeeting/yahoo file sending? the things just tell me they cannot connect directly to the user. I also need to open ports 2000 - 2003 for another program I use.
>
> I am using the 3Com router
>
> --
> Check out
> www.komputers4kids.co.uk
> www.free-n-easy.org.uk

Hi,
I think the problem is that you need to understand alot more about how any of these programs function and how connections are made for file sharing in particular. I dont mean to sound patronising as that's not my intention at all. Its just that different programs might file share using different techniques or protocols and so its valuable to know how a specific program transfers files.

PORTS: This can also become quite a complex subject area, as most PC's commonly have 65,500 potential ports that can be used. Not only this your machine will use one port number say 1099 and the recieving machine might receive your connection on a totally different port number such as 3044,etc (so you see it all gets quite complex)

Protocols: you need to know which protocols your program & or machine needs for the file sharing.

Routers: Having a 3Com Router you need to know which ports this device is using to ensure that file sharing can take place through it (that your router isnt going to block a specific port/s that you require for the program,machine or protocol,etc)

Sorry!hope I havent confused you completely but it is a complex subject and you will need to gather precise information required for file sharing with these programs. A word of caution,programs like ICQ, and other messaging programs can be leave you vulnerable from a security point of view and you need to bear this in mind.

IR

--
N/A

> > can anyone tell me the way round the problems with ICQ/MSN/Netmeeting/yahoo file sending? the things just tell me they cannot connect directly to the user. I also need to open ports 2000 - 2003 for another program I use.
> >
> > I am using the 3Com router
> >
> > --
> > Check out
> > www.komputers4kids.co.uk
> > www.free-n-easy.org.uk
>
> ***************************************************
> Hi,
> I think the problem is that you need to understand alot more about how any of these programs function and how connections are made for file sharing in particular. I dont mean to sound patronising as that's not my intention at all. Its just that different programs might file share using different techniques or protocols and so its valuable to know how a specific program transfers files.
>
> PORTS: This can also become quite a complex subject area, as most PC's commonly have 65,500 potential ports that can be used. Not only this your machine will use one port number say 1099 and the recieving machine might receive your connection on a totally different port number such as 3044,etc (so you see it all gets quite complex)
>
> Protocols: you need to know which protocols your program & or machine needs for the file sharing.
>
> Routers: Having a 3Com Router you need to know which ports this device is using to ensure that file sharing can take place through it (that your router isnt going to block a specific port/s that you require for the program,machine or protocol,etc)
>
> Sorry!hope I havent confused you completely but it is a complex subject and you will need to gather precise information required for file sharing with these programs. A word of caution,programs like ICQ, and other messaging programs can be leave you vulnerable from a security point of view and you need to bear this in mind.
>
> IR
>
>
> --
>

Thanks for the response. I do understand that opening ports does lead to vulnerability issues, however I have a good firewall, and a good up to date anti-virus. I cannot comment on how the programs work, But my assumption is that on F9 there will be more than me with the 3Com router, and more than me that uses ICQ/MSN/Yahoo. As for the other program, it is ISPQ, and their FAQ on this says that I need ports 2000-2003 open. I was just hoping that someone here could help with the solution. Sam on Tech support says there is a solution, buty as she hasn't mailed it to me yet, either she has forgotten, or hasn't been able to get hold of the guy wioth the answer

--
Check out
www.komputers4kids.co.uk
www.free-n-easy.org.uk
N/A

> > > can anyone tell me the way round the problems with ICQ/MSN/Netmeeting/yahoo file sending? the things just tell me they cannot connect directly to the user. I also need to open ports 2000 - 2003 for another program I use.
> > >
> > > I am using the 3Com router
> > >
> > > --
> > > Check out
> > > www.komputers4kids.co.uk
> > > www.free-n-easy.org.uk
> >
> > ***************************************************
> > Hi,
> > I think the problem is that you need to understand alot more about how any of these programs function and how connections are made for file sharing in particular. I dont mean to sound patronising as that's not my intention at all. Its just that different programs might file share using different techniques or protocols and so its valuable to know how a specific program transfers files.
> >
> > PORTS: This can also become quite a complex subject area, as most PC's commonly have 65,500 potential ports that can be used. Not only this your machine will use one port number say 1099 and the recieving machine might receive your connection on a totally different port number such as 3044,etc (so you see it all gets quite complex)
> >
> > Protocols: you need to know which protocols your program & or machine needs for the file sharing.
> >
> > Routers: Having a 3Com Router you need to know which ports this device is using to ensure that file sharing can take place through it (that your router isnt going to block a specific port/s that you require for the program,machine or protocol,etc)
> >
> > Sorry!hope I havent confused you completely but it is a complex subject and you will need to gather precise information required for file sharing with these programs. A word of caution,programs like ICQ, and other messaging programs can be leave you vulnerable from a security point of view and you need to bear this in mind.
> >
> > IR
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
> Thanks for the response. I do understand that opening ports does lead to vulnerability issues, however I have a good firewall, and a good up to date anti-virus. I cannot comment on how the programs work, But my assumption is that on F9 there will be more than me with the 3Com router, and more than me that uses ICQ/MSN/Yahoo. As for the other program, it is ISPQ, and their FAQ on this says that I need ports 2000-2003 open. I was just hoping that someone here could help with the solution. Sam on Tech support says there is a solution, buty as she hasn't mailed it to me yet, either she has forgotten, or hasn't been able to get hold of the guy wioth the answer
>
>
> --
> Check out
> www.komputers4kids.co.uk
> www.free-n-easy.org.uk

Hi,
There are several things you need to check i.e which ports on your machine ICQ/MSN/YAhoo uses and the way too do this is bye using a little tool/util such as "netmon" which you can download free. Run netmon first then run your programs and netmon will show you which ports,& protocols they are each using.

ALSO: It would be worth your while to run a search on for example on www.google.com on those port numbers 2000-2003 so you know exactly what they are associated with (user for!).

3COM Router: Have a good read through the router documentation/help files for how the router uses different protocols and ports,etc to ensure the ones you require are not blocked.

**Also NEVER be complaincent about your system,just becuase you have anti-virus softare and a firewall people can still hack you if your nor carefull. I run tests on my own system regularly even though I too have a firwall.

IR

--
N/A

RE: Anyone?

> can anyone tell me the way round the problems with ICQ/MSN/Netmeeting/yahoo file sending? the things just tell me they cannot connect directly to the user. I also need to open ports 2000 - 2003 for another program I use.
>
> I am using the 3Com router
>

Hi,
I can't comment on the 3Com router, as I have a D-Link 504, but in order to get the file sending stuff working properly in ICQ the easiest way was to configure the client's IP address as the DMZ on the router - basically if the router receives anything from the WAN (internet) side it doesn't know what to do with it will forward it to that client. Not an entirely satisfactory solution as you will lose a lot of the NAT protection of the router, but it works!

HTH
N/A

RE: Anyone?

> > can anyone tell me the way round the problems with ICQ/MSN/Netmeeting/yahoo file sending? the things just tell me they cannot connect directly to the user. I also need to open ports 2000 - 2003 for another program I use.
> >
> > I am using the 3Com router
> >
>
> Hi,
> I can't comment on the 3Com router, as I have a D-Link 504, but in order to get the file sending stuff working properly in ICQ the easiest way was to configure the client's IP address as the DMZ on the router - basically if the router receives anything from the WAN (internet) side it doesn't know what to do with it will forward it to that client. Not an entirely satisfactory solution as you will lose a lot of the NAT protection of the router, but it works!
>
> HTH
>

That's the easiest, also the riskiest as it puts your computer 'in front' of the firewall. I just wish I could even do that with my router since it's not working.

Oh well, good luck to you.