Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using GhostSurf or similar?

aedwards
Dabbler

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is using GhostSurf, or a similar surfing encryption/anonymising package.

I just installed it as it came free on a mag cover disc, and get very poor throughput when it's enabled (fine when it's turned off).

I don't know whether it's just GhostSurf being rubbish, or it's being "network managed" out of existence by F9 because it's traffic can't be identified.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this type of product that works well?

Alan.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Alan,

Sounds very strongly to me that GhostSurf is a program that uses ALOT of processor power (NOT your bandwidth as such) in order to encrypt/de-crypt the data you want to download/view and this is why its so slow. It probably has little or nothing to do with network management or bandwidth.

If anonymity or security concerns are your main interest here, then there are other options which might fit the bill. I can think of several ideas 1) there are several free sites (except you might have to register to use them?) that give you 100% anonymous internet surfing, some of them do this by acting as a proxy server/ anonimizing gateway. The essence is your web activity cannot be recorded or retained or detected. 2) Have a look at the web browser called "NoTrax" this is completely secure anonymous surfing no information is retained at all. http://www.heidi.ie/NoTrax/default.php

Ivan
aedwards
Dabbler

Sounds very strongly to me that GhostSurf is a program that uses ALOT of processor power (NOT your bandwidth as such) in order to encrypt/de-crypt the data you want to download/view and this is why its so slow.

I wouldn't have thought so, the machine is not exactly underpowered (3Ghz P4 with 512Mb RAM). It certainly doesn't struggle with PGPDisk encrypted volumes.

I've just tried it on the laptop at work. Apart from it not really being happy running in a VMWare virtual machine GhostSurf seems to work, and that's only a 1.6Ghz Pentium-M.

There's something about the machine at home it doesn't like.

Have a look at the web browser called "NoTrax" this is completely secure anonymous surfing no information is retained at all.

Thanks, I've never heard of that, I'll take a look.

GhostSurf can encrypt/anonymise NNTP connections too, which was the main reason I was looking at it.

Alan.