cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know owt about puppies....?

N/A

Anyone know owt about puppies....?

We've just taken in a 4 month old German Sheppherd puppy from the local pound.
Its the first dog Ive had ( our lass has had several before) so I dont know too much to feed him, we are at the moment feeding him on tinned food (about half a tin a day) but he's always wanting more, is this normal or are we not giving him enough?
We have been advised to start him on dry food and keep him on this, is this also wise?

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
--
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Anyone know owt about puppies....?

We had a Labrador from the age of 7weeks and we started him on tripe untill he was 4months old then we started him on both dry and meat food. He has a whole roll of `Reebok` and two tubs of `Wagg` a day.

`Wagg` is a whole natural food in itself, you dont really need any meat with it but we found he enjoyed it more with meat.

Considering both of these foods are remarkably cheap he is a very healthy dog and passed A1 with his vet.

Our Labrador is now 1year old (7years)dog time and a strapping big dog. Not fat and not skinny just the right quality for a dog of his breed.

Many owners have their own methods of feeding their animals, however so long as they have enough protine in their foods they should be ok.

You say you give your pup a half tin of food a day.? is that the large tin or small. German Shepperd dogs grow to the same size of Labradors sometimes bigger.

If you are unsure of the quantity of food you give your dog make regular trips to the vets to get him checked and weighed that way they too can help you monitor his feeding.

Btw the Labrador is my wifes dog, even though I am the one that cleans up after him. LOL Smiley
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Don't know much about dogs, but done a quick search on Google for you using "german shepherd feeding."

Got loads of sites.

http://www.petsmart.com/pfc/foodcalc?op=dshowinp might be of interest for feeding amounts.

Hope it helps a bit.

Dave.
N/A

At that age it would need feeding 3 times a day. I allways use dry food as it less of a problem in hot weather and its a balenced diet.

Some need a little meet to make it inviting. How much? That depends on the dog and food basicly put a measured amount down at each feed if he eats it all increase it if he leaves some take it away after 30 mins and reduce the amount.

If he will eat dried food on its own simply leave it down all day as it wonnt smell and he can help himself.

Remember that a dog eats then wants to sleep after it, on waking he wants to do whoopsies. Remebering that you may have to vary meal time to take that into acount. The last meal is at bed time so he sleeps throught the night. There is no point in giving him food at dinner time and then taking out.

Check for worms at that age as well and get his injections and chiped.

> We've just taken in a 4 month old German Sheppherd puppy from the local pound.
> Its the first dog Ive had ( our lass has had several before) so I dont know too much to feed him, we are at the moment feeding him on tinned food (about half a tin a day) but he's always wanting more, is this normal or are we not giving him enough?
> We have been advised to start him on dry food and keep him on this, is this also wise?
>
> Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
>

N/A

First find your local dog training club (your vet will advise) and go and ask. God they will give you advice straight from the 'dogs' mouth. German Shepards frequently have their own clubs.
in my area, there are 2 'allsorts' and 1 GS + 2 agility.
Tonight 'her in doors' is taking our three to one club, tomorrow it's agility with 2 of them, and Thursday it's two to yet another club.

Another post suggests 30 minutes to eat, well ours disappear within 5 minutes.

Good luck

Norman
N/A

> At that age it would need feeding 3 times a day. I allways use dry food as it less of a problem in hot weather and its a balenced diet.
>
> Some need a little meet to make it inviting. How much? That depends on the dog and food basicly put a measured amount down at each feed if he eats it all increase it if he leaves some take it away after 30 mins and reduce the amount.
>
> If he will eat dried food on its own simply leave it down all day as it wonnt smell and he can help himself.
>
> Remember that a dog eats then wants to sleep after it, on waking he wants to do whoopsies. Remebering that you may have to vary meal time to take that into acount. The last meal is at bed time so he sleeps throught the night. There is no point in giving him food at dinner time and then taking out.
>
> Check for worms at that age as well and get his injections and chiped.
>
> > We've just taken in a 4 month old German Sheppherd puppy from the local pound.
> > Its the first dog Ive had ( our lass has had several before) so I dont know too much to feed him, we are at the moment feeding him on tinned food (about half a tin a day) but he's always wanting more, is this normal or are we not giving him enough?
> > We have been advised to start him on dry food and keep him on this, is this also wise?
> >
> > Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --
> >
>
>
I would more or less agree with this, except I would suggest 4 meals per day until the dogs 6 months old, then drop it to three. Thats 2 milk meals and two meat meals, then at 6 months one milk meal and two meat, drop it to two meals at 12 months, a milk meal for breakfast and normal meat meal at tea time. Also GSD's are big boned and grow fast, so add some calcium to it's meals to make sure it's bones grow well, and it doesn't develop rickets. You can get calcium tablets from pet shops.

--
N/A

Thanks to all who responded, it looks like you are all in the same opinion so I will try these out, again many thanks.

Regards

John.