cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know a lot about Sky Digital?

Community Veteran

Right heres the problem, sorry about the long post-

2 weeks ago my son was watching Cbeebies (its a free uncrypted channel).
After it had finished I turned over to Sky One, an error message came on screen telling me there was a problem with the viewing card.

Done a full restart of the system. After it had rebooted and I had stuck the card in it came up with initialising viewing card. It then came up with the same error as before. Tried BBC One / Two / Sky News etc, all work fine, no enctyptted channels work Sky One, ITV, Channel 4 etc.

Called Sky to see if there was a problem with my account or something else which they where aware of. They got me to try a few things, non of which worked so they agreed to send me a new card.

A day or two later the new card turned up, got the same problem so I thought it must be a problem with the digibox (Pace).

So I bought a new box (second hand) from elsewhere this one is a Grundig box, I was told it was in full working order as the person had upgraded to Sky+, they are also known to me so I knew I wouldnt be ripped off. Tried the new box, same problem AGAIN!

So it must be a problem with the dish? I borrowed a Sky box I knew worked (this is the third one now, Panasonic) this one worked fine with its viewing card and both of mine (contry to Sky's belief that they only work on one box).

So it seems that both of my boxes are at fault, but since its not a common error, they are both different makes, and both had worked fine right up until this time it seems pretty unlikey.

Does anyone know TONS about Sky Digital?

Can anyone think of any reason why this has happened or know of this problem happening to anyone else?

Could a power surge from either the electric or the dish be at fault?

I dont want to buy yet another one and the same thing happen again, nor do I want to call a Sky Engineer out and tell me that the dish is fine.

Chris
14 REPLIES
N/A

I too had this problem previously, though I suspect the circumstanses are rather different.

While I was living in rented accomodation with my brother, we had a problem where our pre-pay card, electric meter was eating more money than it should (in the year we lived there, we receive a cheque for £370 as a rebate).

During this, we ran out of power one night, and was unable to get the emergancy credit on intime.

The next day, sky refused to work.

Forcing an update worked the first and second time around, however, all attampts after this failed, and would not even produce the update screen.

I phoned Sky to find out it will be a £80 callout fee, unless you take out the ripoff insurance. This would cover any work to your installation.

They came out, replaced the unit, and it wouldn't work either.

They checked and there was no signal from the LMB. He replaced the LMB to find major damage on it.

Our dish sat on the front of the house, and it was beleived to hjave been knocked by a van (possibly my brothers).

It may well be worth to check the LMB for damage, as it may be the cause.
Community Veteran

Forgot to metion I took my Grundig box to someone elses house and got the same problem so it seems to be the boxes. Unless the dish has broke both boxes, do you think thats possible?
N/A

It is easily possible.

I tried my box at my parrent pub, which proved it was broken.

I still had to replce the main unit, but the LMB had caused it.
N/A

I'm not really sure if this can help but :

On any channel, press the "Services" button on the remote.

Choose "System Setup" and press Select on the remote.

Type 0 1 on the remote and press enter.

This gets you to like an engineering menu, you could try the "New Instalation" option, which I believe is like a factory restart.

Might help, not sure.
Community Veteran

Philip,

I guess in that case you basically replaced the entire setup? Where did you buy your bits from or did you pay Sky to do it? I'll check the dish for any damage although I dont see how anything could be wrong with it since it is quite high up and no-one can reach it.

Eurotrain4, I tried that the other week, it still failed to recognise a viewing card.

Thanks for the help guys.

Chris

Edit -
One other thing Philip, you mentioned you werent getting a single from the dish, where you getting free to air channels or no channels with this problem?
N/A

I was having a few issue with sound before the problem, but nothing to write home about, or so I thought.

After having the system replaced, everything was fine.

My Sky box was from a previous install I had. I had a new disk installed by the same poeple that where orignaly commissioned to install it by Sky (though, this part waqs independant).

When it broke down, I could either pay £80 minimum to the same company, who would repair i. Or pay Sky £80 fixed fee to sort it out in my house.

I opted for Sky. They replaced the Sky box, and just the LMB on the dish. Cabling, mountings and dish remained.
Community Veteran

Cheers,

I called sky earlier, they said it costs £60 now, they didnt believe the problems I but they said that it would be fully inclusive of any parts that are needed.

Once done Ill see if I can get at least one of my broken digiboxes up and running nad then I'll have sky upstairs too.

Ill post back on Tuesday and let everyone know what happens.

Chris
Community Veteran

Sky have been,

aparently the engineer was a little bit dozzy and said the software in the box was faulty (I doubt it was a software problem though).

So I now have one working Digibox with Sky and Im back to one broken box (the engineer took away one of the offending boxes, he wouldnt leave it).

Chris
N/A

Nope, they never do.

That will be taken away for re-conditioning, though not in the normal way.

Unlike a plumber, you can clearly see it is a new unit, and they are not messing you about (hell, it was a fixed fee, they can't get any more out of you).

The old unit will now be dismantled and parts of the unit re-used.
Mainly the card reader and display board.

These will come together and be used in a old shell and new mainboard to produce a re-conditioned unit, that is of good quality, something you don't normaly see in re-cons.
Community Veteran

Im not complaining, as you say it's a fixed fee and I got a new box, Sky arent perfect but I think BT could take a few leaves out of thier book.

Chris
N/A

I know this was all a long time ago... But the following forums are great for all matters Sky/Satellite.. Digital Spy
Community Veteran

Yeah i know, thanks.

I do read them, I set myself an account up at the time, but it takes a couple of days for thier moderators to authorise members. Moderators - who needs em :p

Chris
N/A

lol chris.

Thanks for the link, a most excelent list of resources.

THey have provided me with some good information for getting FTA channels back on my second box.

The trick is seedy, but worth it.
Community Veteran

I could do with buying a second box and dish now, Ive actually posted in them forums for advice on the subject.

Cos of the problems I had (covered in this thread) I've now got two fully working viewing cards which arent locked to a digibox.

Chris