cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone come across this before

N/A

Hi

Just been in conference with my sister,who works 2 jobs a morning one a few days a week and an afternoon one for the remaining days.It is with 2 different employers and both employers are aware of the fact she works 2 part time jobs for want of a better term.

Anyone know any reason why after a few years the morning employer wants her to list and sign a form stating where is the other place she works,what is her grade, and job and the number of hours worked.

Is there some new legislation on the way or in place which could be the reason for them wishing to know this information all of a sudden.

I am hoping that an employer maybe aware of this and be able to give me an idea that I can pass on to her...... as she would like to know the possable reason before signing it.

Thanks for an ideas or thoughts.

IanJ
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hey Ian,

I am not an employer or otherwise so informed. But I do know that a lot of employers now use a contract as common practice and therein stating that the person will not work another job without first having saught their full and expressed permission.

I mean it could also be that employer A is worried that your sis could leak info to employer B thus damaging their business etc, this is paricularly true if they are in the same industry.

One thing I would say goes for your sis is the fact she has been working for employer A for a few years and so a downright dismissal wouldnt work or even be looked kindly upon by the courts.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks Tom it is appreciated.The thing that is concerning her is this is the first time she has recieved such a form..... hence my thoughts about possable new legislation perhaps relating to working hours or something similar.
Community Veteran

Not new legislation as its been around for a few years, but some employers are still playing catch up, and interpretations are changing.

But this sounds like the European Working Time Directive.
Perhaps her company feels that to ensure compliance with this, they should be aware of any other jobs that an employee has, and the hours worked.

Chilly
N/A

Seconded on Chilly's it is the WTD...its so that she doesnt go over the maximum amount of hours in a week, but (at the moment) she can legally opt out of it, not sure when that changes though!
shellsong
Grafter

I can't see any reason why for WTD purposes she need give any detail other than that she works for another business for a whatever number of hours per week. There should be no reason for an employer to try obtaining any more information than that in my opinion
N/A

Thanks folks I have passed on your thoughts and sister says thank you to all.
N/A

I can't see any reason why for WTD purposes she need give any detail other than that she works for another business for a whatever number of hours per week. There should be no reason for an employer to try obtaining any more information than that in my opinion

Its very similar to what is in the NHS, my wife works as a nurse, but also has to disclose what hours she does with the AFR..doesnt have to go into detail due to being all under the NHS trust, but otherwise I guess that some of those details are needed