cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Community Veteran

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

As you may or may not know, the sun's recently given off a huge solar flare, which has reportedly triggered some sightings of the Aurora in England. Has anyone seen such a display?

Thomas
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

I think a clear night is a prerequisite in order to be able to see anything.
At the moment its damned awful here Thomas. Cry
N/A

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

I wish, I live in the south-east of the UK, so I have little to no hope of seeing them, however, myself and some friends are planning a trip for new-years(hopefully) to Norway, to rent out a log cabin, hopefully we will get a wonderfull view of the Aurora from there, not to mention access to a heated indoor swimming pool, sauna, king-sized beds, etc Cheesy
N/A

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Being able to see the Aurora from the UK, that's a fairly impressive feat isn't it -- the media have all been reporting she's currently in the Mediterranean, on her way from Greece to Gibraltar. It's amazing what this sunspot activity can do Wink

Community Veteran

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

I don't know whether to say "ha ha :roll:" or have a go at you for going off topic. Tongue

Thomas
N/A

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Someone submitted pictures to the bbc of aurorae from the more recent flares this month. They were somewhere near deal in kent if I remember rightly. Dunno what enfield is like for light pollution but I got no chance seeing from london unless there is a power cut. You can get aurora forecasts from www.spaceweather.com
N/A

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Being able to see the Aurora from the UK, that's a fairly impressive feat isn't it

Yes, you can't see the aurora from the UK - it is formed by the solar particles hitting the edge of the atmosphere - they would just be absorbed anywhere other than at the poles.
Community Veteran

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Correction mytton - it's unlikely, but not impossible. Some people have seen it in North England back when we had the CMEs. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Ok, very low probability then Smiley
N/A

Yes I've seen the Aurora several times recently

Of course you can see the Aurora in the UK.
Haven't you ever heard of the 'Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen'?
That's a reference to the Aurora which we see qute regulalry in these parts.
There was a great display in the middle of last week - extending to the south of the sky, which is quite unusual. And there was another good display the previous week. And these are just the ones I noticed.
Community Veteran

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Yes I have a relative near Inverness and the "Northern lights" are often seen from the house there.
N/A

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

We've seen it frequently in north Cumbria over the last month or two, but we've no light pollution around here and we live on a hill with lots of sky visible.

m.
N/A

Photos of the Northern Lights in the UK

For those who've never seen the Northern Lights (and for those who have), there are some splendid photos on the British Astronomical Association's Aurora section at http://www.baa-aurora.fsnet.co.uk/

We're lucky enought to live in a village without the light pollution of street lights and so get a great view of them. This year is the first time I've seen one with a red shimmer and glow - usually it's blue and greens and white.
Community Veteran

Anyone Seen The Aurora?

Wow - I just looked at the photos taken from Lelant in Cornwall (I love that part of the world) - stunning! Thanks for the link!

Thomas