cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any feedback about Computeach?

snozboz
Grafter

Has anyone got anything positive (or negative) to say about Computeach?

Or would you recommend another route to get into an IT job?

Thanks,
Martin
7 REPLIES
N/A

I've only heard negative- although third hand so it's probably not much help. Googling their name doesn't bring up much positive feedback from forums though.

I'd suggest CompTIA A+ as a good route of entry, books are available for thirty odd pounds and the exam is just over a hundred. Combine that with a second hand box to practice on and you're sorted.

Saving several thousand pounds from what I remember about their prices.
N/A

Hmmm, alternative routes into IT...

I don't suppose you get much more alternative from the route I took!

From leaving school I'd had a multitude of jobs, including Landscape Gardener, Agricultural Contractor (tractor driver), Bar Supervisor, Ambulance Stretcher Engineer/Fabricator.

I decided to go travelling for a while, and on my return couldn't really be bothered to get a 'proper job' Taking relaxed strolls on deserted beaches was still too vivid in my memory to allow space for serious 'future' considerations!

Anyhow, the rent needed paying, so I wandered into an agency and volunteered to do any sort of work they had going.

I was fired from the first company I was sent to, after allegations of warehouse staff playing football in the warehouse once management went home (would we?!?!?)

The next job I was sent to was at the company I'm in now.

Started out washing out manufacturing vessels on a night shift, moved into chemical picking, then chemical stock control. Promotion to site stock controller, then despatch manager. Seconded to work on MRP/ERP replacement project, promoted to running project, promoted to Network Administrator after project, then promoted to ICT Manager.

Each step meant pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and getting in peoples faces requesting more and more responsibilty.

Its not a route many people would be able to follow I know, but it highlights that without qualifications it can be done.

The key thing is self belief - if you believe you can do it, get a job thats not quite the one you want, and work your ass off to prove you can do the next job up - I've spent the last 5 years getting paid the salary for the last role I was doing, whilst I was doing the next job up the ladder. (Finally resolved this last October - and this year is being spent evidencing my skills/knowledge by completing MCSE)

Its soul destroying at times, but if you believe and commit yourself to doing it, you will get there. - Don't put too much faith in qualifications, it may get you in the door, but its your passion, interest and commitment that'll get you the success you want.
N/A

I'll glad you didn't add intelligence to that list- there may be hope for me yet. :lol:

The trick, as with any career choice, is to persuade someone to let you in the front door.

I'd strongly advocate being able to demonstrate competance, interest and committment by building PC's from spare parts yourself at home, and any relevant exam will prove a level of understanding and passion for the subject.

Second hand PC's are dirt cheap and Linux is an ideal (free) platform to give you practice at setting up networks, services (running your own mail server always sounds good), creating partitions, and hacking drivers to get hardware to work.

Exam wise I'd suggest the A+ as a great all round qualification to give you that foundation of knowledge, but others prefer to go for the MCDST where their career leads them to more of a helpdesk role.

Could also try writing to a few local charities, schools, colleges or Government offices to see if they'll give you some unpaid work experience with their tech team.
snozboz
Grafter

Thanks.

Kind of what I thought.

@sallyandjames - quite a story you've got there. Ever thought of taking up writing?! Wink
N/A

Bit late with a reply but...

I did a Systems Analysis and Introduction to Programming qualification through Computeach. The training itself is OK, BUT you also pay for help in finding employment after obtaining a qualification. This bit sucks!

I now have a post with an IT company, but I can honestly say that both the qualification and jobsearch had nothing to do with getting my current post.
N/A

@sallyandjames - quite a story you've got there. Ever thought of taking up writing?! Wink

Recently I have!

As many will have noticed, I'm so busy ATM I don't get much time to indulge my hobbies.

A couple of my hobbies fit quite well together - photography and walking.

I recently considered planning some time out to indulge both, perhaps taking on the challenge of a long distance walk (depending on timescales available I actually considered Lands End to John O Groats!!)

With a little work, I was tempted to try and roll in a writing aspect to help finance my endeavours. Perhaps approaching publishers of guides to see if they would be interested in more recent information to bring their guides up to date. Possibly approaching retailers/manufacturers to see if they would like products testing and reviewing en-route. (Anybody know of a company that sells sherpas that might like one testing for a three months.....)

Anyway, its a pipe dream at the minute, the closest I'm likely to get is long weekends, or perhaps two weeks to complete the coast-to-coast trail.

Until then, my writing is likely to be restricted to project proposals and associated reviews and reports - how interesting!
N/A

If you wan to get into IT the first thing is to decided doing what?
Programing (what language)
Web design (can you design)
Support (this takes in lots of levals from 1st line £7000 per year to 3rd line £30,000) First line is simple password reset and dead simple things.
SQL DBA (£40,000 +)
Networking Cisco etc

Once you know what doing a Microsoft coarse is the best thing as it gets you in even if you have never done it before.