cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Mechanics Around Here?

LiamM
Grafter

I've got a problem with one of my windscreen wipers.

Today I checked my brake fluid, windscreen wash etc.... by opening the bonnet.

I found that my windscreen wiper on the drivers side had come up slightly and had obviously been rubbing agaist the top of the bonnet as there was a large amount of the metal rubbed away.

I can press the wiper arm back down so that it's in the right place, but when i let go it comes back up again.

Now, when I try, the wiper moves slightly (couple inches) and then gets stuck and won't move any further.

The car is a 1998 (S) Nissan Primera 5Dr. I'm really stuck for what to do as I need the car every day. Is it a garage job?

Cheers,
Liam

(Pictures could be provided if useful?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It sounds like it needs replacing (which Im sure you've figured already). If you're handy with a screwdriver you might be able to do this yourself. Ebay is a great place to look for secondhand parts and places like Halfords or scrap yards could have what you need as well. Otherwise you might need to take it to a garage which is often a necessitly when you own a car.
N/A

In these kinds of situations, I swear by the Haynes book. Sounds like you just need a new wiper arm and / or fitting. Easy ten minute job to do it yourself, or an expensive hourly labour charge down the garage.
N/A

Re: Any Mechanics Around Here?

I'm really stuck for what to do as I need the car every day.

Oh dear Liam, you've only been driving for a few months and you've become a prisoner of the infernal combustion engine. Smiley
It happens to most of us at some time.
Community Veteran

Hopefully its just the arm thats warn and not the spigot that it pushes on to.
They normally just pull off with a bit of pressure so once you have it off the spigot you should be able to see what part is warn.

If it it the drive spigot then iys a garage job unless you are really handy and have the tools. Cry
If it is the arm thats worn then as mentioned above you can get a replacement from many sources. Smiley
N/A

I've got the same car and that happened to mine. (I am a mechanic btw) I had to fit a new piece of wiper linkage that's driven by the motor. It's a piece oc cake.
Stevie.