cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Ex AOL customers?

N/A

Any Ex AOL customers?

Is there anyone reading that was once an AOL customer? I ask because a friend has installed Incredimail but cannot send or receive mail with it. I have set it up the same as you set up OE, the problem being the AOL mail server addresses :twisted: All the instructions I have seen to configure the mail programme show that both the incoming server and outgoing server are localhost. Now I may be wrong, but isn't localhost the name of your own machine? I have been unable to find out the settings, because good old AOL provide their own version of OE for their software.

Any guidance would be good please.

Cheers

Mark
7 REPLIES
N/A

Any Ex AOL customers?

I know nothing about AOL, but "localhost" certainly is your own machine, with Internet address 127.0.0.1.

It sounds as if you may need to set up the SMTP mail option. But, if it is using "localhost", I would have expected you to be able, at least, to send mail without doing that.
N/A

Any Ex AOL customers?

as far as im aware AOL only works with its own email client they dont have SMTP and POP servers of any kind

Darren
N/A

Agreed!!

Hi,
I have some friends who when they first had an internet connection used AOL and all was fine whilst you used AOL's doctored version of both MS Outlook EXpress (rewitten for AOL) and MS Internet Explorer (also rewitten). The problem I think is that AOL's software places new settings in the windows registry for such services as email & how to connect to the web.

**It is often possible to hack the registry if you know how and also which settings to modify or remove. But I dont recommend this too you unless you are very experienced computer user who is confident working inside the registry (NOT for the faint hearted!!).

**Look I have a strong feeling that unless you use AOL's software your NOT going to get any joy from AOL in terms of them telling you which settings to use, and my hunch is even if they gave you the correct settings they wouldnt work with anything less than AOL's own propietory software.

**Its AOL's way of locking you in as a user, whilst thats fine for alot of families or dixons type users i.e. joe public. If you want something more sophisticated my guess is that your going to have to change ISP from AOL.

Ivan
N/A

Any Ex AOL customers?

It's actually written in the AOL FAQ's how to configure Incredimail to work with their system. In reality however........

Never mind, I think I can live without the 25p referral I would get from her if she were to move to F9. If she wants Incredimail that badly she will have to move, but I don't think she will.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Replying

Hi,
Yep! sounds about right to me too, most of my friends who previous had AOL have all moved to other ISP's including F9 many of them and are ALOT happier as a result too. Move ISP was the first thing I advised them to do when they understood the problem, once the AOL software is taken off the system and real MS versions of IE & OE installed the settings where fine and all worked great. Well thats my experience as far as it goes.

** I tend to steer clear of AOL & MSN and such like.

Ivan
N/A

Any Ex AOL customers?

as far as im aware AOL only works with its own email client they dont have SMTP and POP servers of any kind

Darren

imap.uk.aol.com
smtp.uk.aol.com

Ian
N/A

Any Ex AOL customers?

Thanks for that Ian. The person is on her hols at the moment but will try it when she gets back.

Cheers

Mark