cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any AVG anti-virus users out there?

N/A

Any AVG anti-virus users out there?

Hi

I wonder if any other AVG anti-virus users have come across this and have any ideas as to what causes it.I am running Win98SE with the latest critical updates,Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106.The problem is that at random (or so it seems)intervals when opening items in OE both mail and newsgroups I get the following error message "Error initializing the AVG kernal.Could not perform e-mail scanning.Outlook Express plugin switched off".I am by the way using the full version of AVG 6.0,and have hunted through the programme to find anyway to switch the plugin on or off without success.I have been using AVG free edition for a number of years now and have never experienced this anomaly till very recently.So am wondering if (a) there is a clash of programmes on my computer or (b) they have developed someway in either e-mails,newsgroup postings or "jpg's" of hiding something that switches e-mail scanning off.As I have said this is something I have not seen till recently,and any thoughts suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

IanJ
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Any AVG anti-virus users out there?

> Hi
>
> I wonder if any other AVG anti-virus users have come across this and have any ideas as to what causes it.I am running Win98SE with the latest critical updates,Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106.The problem is that at random (or so it seems)intervals when opening items in OE both mail and newsgroups I get the following error message "Error initializing the AVG kernal.Could not perform e-mail scanning.Outlook Express plugin switched off".I am by the way using the full version of AVG 6.0,and have hunted through the programme to find anyway to switch the plugin on or off without success.I have been using AVG free edition for a number of years now and have never experienced this anomaly till very recently.So am wondering if (a) there is a clash of programmes on my computer or (b) they have developed someway in either e-mails,newsgroup postings or "jpg's" of hiding something that switches e-mail scanning off.As I have said this is something I have not seen till recently,and any thoughts suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.
>
> IanJ

I used AVG free edition for some time at my workplace. I found that it constantly had issues with the outlook plugin (removing all the text so blank emails were sent, crashing etc etc) so in the end I turned off the email scanning. I had no problem with this as the resident shield is effective enough to stop you accessing an infected file anyway as soon as you make any effort to open it.
N/A

Because of steady stream of exploits/viruses, IU changes the The Bat! as my mail software.

It's a little tricky at first, but it's power i amazing. It does all the HTMl viewing and so on.

However, when ti comes to HTMl mails, the images must be embeded in the e-mail, oitherwise they don't display. This means larger e-mails (because you can't host the images on a webserver), though it does mean spammers cant track your e-mail habbits by embeding scripted images.

The best part, Grisoft have not long released a plugin for the bat, so incoming (The Bat doesn't support outgoing scans yet) mail is scanned by AVG, and works very very well.

That being said, I would seriously consider contacting Grisoft. If you are using the full version of AVG, you are entitled to free tech support. Though if you are using a ripped version, it's advisable not too, and may possibly be the cause.
N/A

> That being said, I would seriously consider contacting Grisoft. If you are using the full version of AVG, you are entitled to free tech support. Though if you are using a ripped version, it's advisable not too, and may possibly be the cause.

Hmmm! wonder if it is a feature of the newer versions,I have discovered that it is not as random as I originally thought:in fact I can get it to happen almost any time I wish.It happens whenever I click on a URL in an e-mail,view the web page and the close it to return to the original e-mail,so perhaps (and would welcome thoughts on this)it needs to shut down the e-mail scanner to open the website,and is informing me of this fact upon return to the mail reader.But why it would happen when opening some "jpgs" in the newsgroups,unless they are trying to divert one to a website I could not even hazard a guess.All in all a bit of a puzzle.

IanJ

N/A

My guess is newgroups are subject to the safe filtering rpcoess that incoming mails are.

As such, causing the same issue.

Due to some fo the Low level functions used in virus scanners, trying to take priority and so on, it happens from time to time that conflicts happen.

It maybe a variable that isn't being reset as it should, causing AVG to think it's an error.

However, I would make a very detailed number list, of the steps you do to produce the bug, and include files versions for AVG and Outlook.

Then send this to AVG tech support. They will likely want more info, but it's very good start, to get them looking at the item in the first place.
N/A

Hi All

Get Zone-Alarm. Its the best and most of all its free.

Also very reliable.

Good-luck in getting it sorted.

Tim
N/A

> Get Zone-Alarm. Its the best and most of all its free.

Used Zone Alarm for a long time,now gone for Kerio,however not sure about Zone Alarms ability to detect virus :-) got AVG sorted out;something on my computer was upsetting it,re-installed everything including OS no problems since.So thanks for the replies.

Ian
N/A

Hi

Sorry it's a human error. Had a whisky in me perhaps. We all know Zone-alarm is a fire-wall and not a virus scanner.

My apologies.

Cheers

Tim