cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Daft Topic

N/A

Another Daft Topic

Double yellow lines.

My understanding (feel free here to revel in correcting me if I'm wrong!) is that as a legal document enacted on a road surface, double (and single) yellow lines MUST conform to certain requirements.

1. They must be fundamentally unbroken (no big bits missing although a bit worn is acceptable)

2. They must be terminated at each end with a 'T' bar.

And that if they don't conform to these guidelines then they are invalid. And as such you can park on them.

Apparently this has been tested in court and established as a precedent.

Well... Comments anyone?? Cheesy
16 REPLIES
N/A

Another Daft Topic

In my opinion, double yellow lines are there for a reason. Just because they are damaged, doesn't make it ok to park on them (just because you can legally, doesn't mean you shuold Smiley). As long as they're still recognisable I think you should treat them as regular double-yellow.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I can't even drive Wink
Community Veteran

Another Daft Topic

And don't even get me started on red lines and red routes (bus lanes etc.)! :twisted:

Wink

Thomas
N/A

Another Daft Topic

I'm good with these comments, but think of the fun you can have with parkies!!!

:lol:

And don't you have DYLs round your way which are positioned in just plain stupid places? Cry
N/A

Another Daft Topic

Hehe, can't say I notice road markings much. I don't know of any stupidly placed ones nearby, but I'm sure there are some.
Community Veteran

Another Daft Topic

One thing that annoys me is the closeness some people decide to park thier cars to the end of a road, there is supposed to be a set limit of X amount of meters (cant remember what it is) but it really annoys me when they think Oh I'll be able to squeeze my car on the end and make it difficult for everyone to see.

They think that just cos there are no yellow lines they can do what they want.

Rant over..

Chris
N/A

Another Daft Topic

There is a spot like that just down the road from me on a corner where cars are parked right on the bend, making it rather tricky to see.

Irritates my faher no end Wink
csogilvie
Grafter

Another Daft Topic

Can't think of any stupidly placed ones in Stirling - but I can think of a few places where they should add some!
N/A

Another Daft Topic

Let's face it, a large number of people parking in stupid places (be it on double yellow lines or not) seem to thnik that they are legally entitled to do so so long as they switch on their hazard ights!!!!!
N/A

Another Daft Topic

You should see my wife trying to reverse park, it's a right laugh. She needs a gap of at least 4 cars and a dozen attempts to straighten up. In fact she drives round looking for a space to drive forward into, rather than reverse into. Yet she moans at me if I have trouble backing our caravan into a tight spot, but she refuses point blank to even tow it herself.
Next time you are stuck behind a caravan it could be me Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Another Daft Topic

Dare I mention Gatso cameras in this illustrious companyHuh

I suppose as a driver of 35 years, I can just about see the point of speed cameras in areas like accident black spots, schools etc.

But what really does niggle me is a camera on an innocuous piece of single carraigeway near me here that has a camera that points in one direction only (and yes I've been caught by it!!)

While fairly innocent motorists get clobbered for exceeding 30mph in one direction cars coming from the other direction come tearing through the same piece of road at 50 and 60mph only feet away from the poor guy worried about another 4 points on his licence.

Somebody tell me the logic and safety angle in that, I'd be interested in hearing the authority who put up the one-way Gatso argue their way out of that.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Another Daft Topic

And Oh yes, while on about Gatso's a colleague posted this on our internal mail at work the other day...bad news for anybody using the London end of the M4

I have no idea how true this is...................

You know those new electronic signs on the M4? Well they were switched on

by some transport minister on Tuesday. Now the bad news, they are rigged

with the SPECS speed cameras.

SPECS is a camera based system. As you go past a camera software detects

and reads your number plate. When you go past the next camera, it detects

and reads your number plate again. It knows how far apart the cameras are

so it can work out your average speed between the two cameras.

The system is fully automatic and will automatically issue a ticket

without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single

vehicle

that passes a camera! You will not know you've been nicked as the cameras

don't

flash. There's no film in them either, they're digital. Images of you in

your car, together with the date and time are stored on disc (I assume they

only keep them if you've been nicked).

It works 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no

limit on the number of tickets that it can issue.

The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury Services

(between 14 and 15) is wired, both ways.

It is believed that the system is set to trigger a ticket at 78 mph.

The bad news gets even worse. For those who've got radar detectors, they

won't work. SPECS is entirely passive, there's no radar or laser beam to

pick up.

If anyone wants to be brave, we can do an experiment with small number

plates. I don't know what the upper speed limit is on SPECS either, on

GATSOs its about 175 mph, above that it can't detect you!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Another Daft Topic

I think speed cameras are good, if people break the limits they should be punished. There are a few places with silly speed limits though but generally the limits are there for a reason and so are the cameras.

I don't know about anywhere else but in Sheffield (where I live) they have painted all the cameras yellow and put information in the local news paper telling people which cameras are active - pointless if you ask me.

Chris
N/A

Another Daft Topic

They are not supposed to install cameras with no speed detection capabilities, unless they notify you as such.

Sticking a sign up saying "Fake speed cameras ahead" would make it pointless, however, prior notification via media adverts could be seen to be showing this.

It could come to a point where this is tested.

The good news is there is legal methods of detecting any camera. The new GPRS based units for one. Rather than detection, plotting is done by position.

Clarity used to sell one (no longer do, because the makers broke a deal and left Clarity out of pocket), and there are plenty available at Maplin.
Community Veteran

Another Daft Topic

Yes, that's something I thought was stupid... there was once a time not too long ago when the polic force were trying to hide the speed cameras, and there was uproar... so, because the police already had a fairly bad name, they decided to go the other way and make them overly-obvious. Seems stupid to me, because now all that happens is the driver will slow down when in view of the camera, then speed up after. :roll:

Thomas