cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying Problem :-(

N/A

Annoying Problem :-(

I have a PT3806 with a conexant chipset. Its external, usb and I am on windows xp.
Since Friday I have had a problem with my ADSL. The conexant software pings and when I look at it it says it is "attempting to activate the line". When this happens, I cant view websites or get e-mail. I can however stay on some programs such as msn, ICQ, or yahoo.
After a few seconds it connects again.
The windows status shows no sign of disconnection. Its a very annoying problem, esp when playing online games.
Ive tried re-installing the modem drivers and Ive looked for conflicts but cant see any.
Has anyone had this problem or has any idea what it could be?
Thanks
Rach
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Annoying Problem :-(

> I have a PT3806 with a conexant chipset. Its external, usb and I am on windows xp.
> Since Friday I have had a problem with my ADSL. The conexant software pings and when I look at it it says it is "attempting to activate the line". When this happens, I cant view websites or get e-mail. I can however stay on some programs such as msn, ICQ, or yahoo.
> After a few seconds it connects again.
> The windows status shows no sign of disconnection. Its a very annoying problem, esp when playing online games.
> Ive tried re-installing the modem drivers and Ive looked for conflicts but cant see any.
> Has anyone had this problem or has any idea what it could be?
> Thanks
> Rach

I just wanted to add something after reading through months of posts. Does this problem sound similar to the data transfer problems experience in november?
N/A

> > I have a PT3806 with a conexant chipset. Its external, usb and I am on windows xp.
> > Since Friday I have had a problem with my ADSL. The conexant software pings and when I look at it it says it is "attempting to activate the line". When this happens, I cant view websites or get e-mail. I can however stay on some programs such as msn, ICQ, or yahoo.
> > After a few seconds it connects again.
> > The windows status shows no sign of disconnection. Its a very annoying problem, esp when playing online games.
> > Ive tried re-installing the modem drivers and Ive looked for conflicts but cant see any.
> > Has anyone had this problem or has any idea what it could be?
> > Thanks
> > Rach
>
> I just wanted to add something after reading through months of posts. Does this problem sound similar to the data transfer problems experience in november?

Hi Rachel,
Although I am NOT familar with your specific hardware/device from what you described previously there are most likely going to be two scenario's:-
1) either you dont have actual connectivity to the internet at all (no websites available and no email at all)and you test this by trying to reach a well known website like www.bbc.co.uk etc
2)or you do have an actual connection but only working on certain "ports" thus the ports for msn,ICQ and yahoo which ever they might be? See if the settings on your modem/drivers allow certain ports.
3) another thought is that if you have IFC in XP or a personal firewall (such as zonealarm for example)running this could stop or block certin ports too. Especially if they are UDP ports for example. Thus try turning off any firewall and see if your connection works as normal.

--
N/A

> > > I have a PT3806 with a conexant chipset. Its external, usb and I am on windows xp.
> > > Since Friday I have had a problem with my ADSL. The conexant software pings and when I look at it it says it is "attempting to activate the line". When this happens, I cant view websites or get e-mail. I can however stay on some programs such as msn, ICQ, or yahoo.
> > > After a few seconds it connects again.
> > > The windows status shows no sign of disconnection. Its a very annoying problem, esp when playing online games.
> > > Ive tried re-installing the modem drivers and Ive looked for conflicts but cant see any.
> > > Has anyone had this problem or has any idea what it could be?
> > > Thanks
> > > Rach
> >
> > I just wanted to add something after reading through months of posts. Does this problem sound similar to the data transfer problems experience in november?
>
> Hi Rachel,
> Although I am NOT familar with your specific hardware/device from what you described previously there are most likely going to be two scenario's:-
> 1) either you dont have actual connectivity to the internet at all (no websites available and no email at all)and you test this by trying to reach a well known website like www.bbc.co.uk etc
> 2)or you do have an actual connection but only working on certain "ports" thus the ports for msn,ICQ and yahoo which ever they might be? See if the settings on your modem/drivers allow certain ports.
> 3) another thought is that if you have IFC in XP or a personal firewall (such as zonealarm for example)running this could stop or block certin ports too. Especially if they are UDP ports for example. Thus try turning off any firewall and see if your connection works as normal.
>
>
>
> --
Further thought Rachel,
It sounds like it would be well worth you contacting BT's ADSL team, ask them to test your phoneline (your line might have a high noise level or might need re-balancing or the gain adjusting)all these things can improve your ADSL performace and you have nothing to loose bye trying this.

--