cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice

N/A

Advice

I am thinking about upgrading to ADSL sometime this year, spouse willing. I do, however, admit to being a little lost and the FAQ's don't seem to help me much. Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

My main machine runs Linux (Mandrake 8.1) and my laptop (A Sony vaio) runs mostly XP-pro but occasionally Mandrake 8.1. Now, neither machine is on all the time and I want to be able to boot either of them, at any time, and connect to ADSL. I won't need to use them at the same time (but that might be nice if we want to work at the same time).

Would it be a good idea to get some sort of always-on router and connect each machine to that? If so, any recommendations given the OS's I use? I'm a bit averse to more wires trailing the floor, so is wireless any good?

Thanks in advance, John
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Advice

In view of your requirements (more than one system, which you want to have independent Internet access; and support of non-Windows Operating Systems), I would definitely recommend a router.
If you wish to avoid additional wiring, then the wireless option is open to you - there are several different models on the market, all incorporating the ADSL modem, router and wireless functionality.
I don't have a wireless system myself, but I do have a router, an Alcatel Speed Touch 510, which I'm very happy with. A wireless equivalent of this model is the Speed Touch 570. I believe other wireless models are reviewed at www.dslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews
N/A

Thanks Stephen!

Now I just need to price it and ask the treasury for a chitty. Smiley

Are these things easy to set up, or do I need a degree in networking?

J.

N/A

> Are these things easy to set up, or do I need a degree in networking?
>
They claim to be "Plug 'n' Play", but in reality you have to have some knowledge - even if it's simply knowing which is the best of the several supplied "configuration files" to use.

If you find yourself in difficulties, either put a posting here, or another good place is the uk.telecom.broadband newsgroup.