cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Administrator on XP

Community Veteran

Administrator on XP

Hi

I've just tried to update a driver on my computer and have come up with a message saying that I need to have an administrator account to make this change - I have only one account on my machine! and therefore of course it has to have administration rights!

Also, when I go to the login/out screen it confirms only one account, but it says that I have 2 unread messages. What messages? where? I can't find them. Shockedops:

This may be something obvious, but I've never come across it before, and although in every other respect the computer seems to be running ok, it just niggles Evil

Can anyone help?

John
6 REPLIES
slev
Grafter

Administrator on XP

Hi

I am currently using XP pro version ,

When I click the start menu I can log off here and log on as an administrator with my password I set when I first got xp,

What version are you using ?

Regards

Ian
Community Veteran

Administrator on XP

Hi

I'm using Win XP Home version. There's only one user account and according to the control panel, that's listed as "computer administrator". I haven't bothered to password protect it, so there's not need to input any password.

John
slev
Grafter

Administrator on XP

Hi

I have had a read up on this in a few tech forums and it is as I thought

If you're using XP Home Edition and want to maintain an Administrator account, you might have a big problem. In that OS, the Administrator account is available only when the computer runs in Safe Mode; you can't create an Administrator account that's available in any typical mode of system operation. This limited availability hinders the Administrator account's effectiveness in managing the computer.

and

In XP Home Edition the admin account is only accessible from SafeMode. This accounts password is by default BLANK....yeah thats correct there is no password. Gee...PATHETIC.

Hope this helps

Ian
N/A

Admins accounts on XP

Hi,

Just an addional comment really, I normally make a copy of the administrators account on XP and the rename it something like joe bloggs and setup a normal password on this account then either disable the original admins account (gee blank password!! well if you want good security on your machine you WONT leave the password blank for long). Or if you feel this idea is abit too drastic you could just setup a normal password on the original admins account that makes it abit more secure anyway.

**Only the admins & power users will have the correct level permissions to download & install drivers on XP. This is mainly designed to stop users with little IT knowledge what I call fiddling at the edges, again mainly this applies within a network or business environment and isnt so relevenat within a home sitaution.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Community Veteran

Administrator on XP

Thanks for the replies.

As you can see, this is home use, and therfore really the security issue isn't so relavent (obviuosly issues such as virus scanning, malware, and network security is a different matter) Smiley

However the idea that you have to start up in safe mode is a new one on me. Sounds daft, but Ian's clearly done his homework. I know I've updated drivers in the past without any problem, but suddenly this one has come up. I thought it may be something to do with SP2, since that's added a whole raft of (sometimes seemingly pointless) security steps.
Oh well, if it becomes absolutely necessary to chang a driver, then I suppose I'll start in safe mode and give it a go.

Thanks again.

John
N/A

XP safe mode.

Hi Again,

yep! I agree with you, I also think Ian is right on this but I also can agree with you too. It seems pretty weird that you have to start XP home in safe mode inorder to use the admins account (didnt know that as I dont use XP Home only XP Professional which is clearly some what different it would seem).

**As far as I am aware the only reason you have to use the admins account is that an ordinary user account doesnt come with high enough levels of permissions that would allow you to download & install new drivers for something but admins account gives full system wide permissions so amongst other things admins are allowed to download & install new software such as drivers etc. But why safe mode for admins is required I havent a clue? maybe Ian can enlighten us?? :lol:

**Yes! running in safe mode just to install some drivers seems a pain I agree completely with you.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User