cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation Fee and Modem costs

thehat
Grafter

A friend of mine is about to go broadband. She was thinking of going with BT. Their basic service is £19.99 per month which I think is equivalent to Free-Online's £14.99 per month option. However with BT they are now offering the modem free, and there is no activation charge. Once you factor in the activation fee (£5.50 per month), free-online comes out more expensive (in the first year) than BT. Can this be right? I know there are extra features with fol, such as unlimited email addresses, website with CGI, etc... but she is unlikely to make use of any of these.
Also I did a bit of a search around for an alternative to buying the modem from Free-online. I found this one which only costs £16.73 with a splitter. That's a little different to £44.99.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1156027501&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3...
Is there any reason why this modem would not work as well as the free-online supplied one?
Thanks
Phil.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Don't see why it wouldn't work.. Just beware though, that there is a possibility that this unit will allow remote administration by default..
N/A

That modem should be fine. Only thing you lose to some extent is any kind of support from FOL for the modem, which might be worth the extra to you :lol: