cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access GURU needed

N/A

Access GURU needed

I have a nice technical question for someone - and there may be a free mars bar for the quickest response...

I need to set up a database in access with some fields such as header items on invoices with the company's address or phone number on the top - but i want to be able to change them periodically without having to go and edit all of my reports etc...

Along the same lines i want to have some constants such as labour rate that is a constant but which can be changed periodically (it will be used as a default value on some forms).

I know a fair bit about access already and have made a few decent shop databases in the past with auto reorder etc...

So please help... Chris
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: Access GURU needed

> I have a nice technical question for someone - and there may be a free mars bar for the quickest response...
mmmmm... Mars Bar....

Surely this is as simple as creating a table holding the firm's name etc. and then having header fields that just extract them? Presumably the invoice has the customer's name on it which you find in a table, well it must be just the same as that.

And the labour rate is just the same - a one-row table holding this rate which you select and use in your calculations just like a constant?
Example:
Table of hours worked called ManHours:
ManNo HoursWorked
1 12.4
2 10.3
3 11
4 1.45

Hourly-rate table called PayRate:
HourlyRate
£5.67

Query to calculate pay:
SELECT ManHours.ManNo,
ManHours.HoursWorked,
[HoursWorked]*[PayRate].[HourlyRate] AS Pay
FROM ManHours, PayRate;
ManNo HoursWorked Pay
1 12.4 70.308
2 10.3 58.401
3 11 62.37
4 1.45 8.2215

Seems to work and is nothing like as clever as your 'auto reorder'... or is there more to it?

(I use Access a lot but 'front-ended' by Delphi or C++ Builder and it is very simple with them but it must be equally easy in pure Access?)

Tim