cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Plusnet's speed test

N/A

Why does the size of the file to be downloaded change...... I have noticed that I do not really have to wait for the speed test to run it's course to get an idea if the reading is going to be good or bad.

If I am going to get a good reading the size of the file is 2.93mbytes and during the last few weeks when my speed was registering as particulary bad it did get down as low as 1.67mbytes.

Now I would have thought that the result of a speed test was calculated on the length of time taken to download a given size file: for example 2.93mbytes.So can some explain simply for me why the lower the speed test result the lower the size of file to be downloded seems to be when I would have thought the size would be constant.
3 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

thats always confused me also, it seems to give different results within minutes as well, I find http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ to be more accurate as it also measures upload as well
Community Veteran

The size of the file changes, I expect, so it's a good size for people on different connections. For example, 2.93MB isn't much on, say, an 8Mb ADSL connection, but imagine trying to download that at 3KBps over dialup. So, as far as I can tell, the speed tester actually does a preliminary speed test before the "proper" one, to decide on a suitable file size for your computer to download.

Thomas
N/A

That makes sense: thanks Thomas