cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASDL in two rooms without a router

N/A

Haven't got a clue if this is possible, hence the post.

I have a PC in the main living room, currently wired up for ASDL. We also have a PC in the spare room I'd like to connect up to ASDL as well.

The obvious route would be either wireless network or wire up a router onto the ASDL modem I already have, but I reckon this would be expensive.

Now the spare room needs a telephone cable wiring, so my thinking can I wire up the spare room with normal telephone cable, add an ASDL filter naturally and then wire up another ASDL modem onto the second PC.

I reckon there shouldn't be an issue providing only one PC is accessing the internet, however does anyone have any experience of "sharing" an ASDL connection in this way.

I don't need the two PCs to communicate just use the same telephone wire [in tandem if possible].

Has anyone tried this/got it working?

Thanks in advance,
Franz.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Just Share?

Hi,

I'm all in favour of keeping such situations as simple as possible. Yes! as far as I can see you have already thought through the two most logical answers to the situation.

But are you aware? that in windows2000 & WinXP you can now share x1 internet connection and this seems to me the obvious answer to your dilemma. One machine takes the role as a server & the other second system becomes a client.

**Yes! you could definately go wireless but then it gets pricey because you would have to have a wireless access point. However now a days you can buy a single product that gives access to the internet to several systems in one device. The only problem is the complexity of the set-up this involves and it does require a good knoweledge of networking & TCP/IP & IP addressing, not to mention the security aspects. So it can get rather difficult & complex be warned its not simple & straight forwards as an option. But I dont want to put you off but just be aware of what your getting into thats all really.

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

Technically Yes, but you'd need to keep uplugging the ADSL modems, so is a bit of a bore.

You could look at the cheap networking options that use your existing telephone extension cables using Home Phone Networking. BT's Home Networking is a good example and has been reviewed on ADSL Guide.

Other suppliers (Dabs et al) can provide more basic USB or PCI card HomePNA adaptors for using Win 98/XP Internet Connection Sharing features if you want.

The main advantage to Home Phone Networking is the use of your existing phone extension wiring. This is however at a slower speed than and incompatable with ethernet networks (but more than fast enough for internet sharing).

Regards

Neil
N/A

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The BTHome Networking option sounds ideal on the face, but at £200 I think it would be better to spend on doing the correct solution of networking the two computers using cat5 cable and wiring a phone extension cable at the same time.

>But are you aware? that in windows2000 & WinXP you can now share x1 >internet connection and this seems to me the obvious answer to your >dilemma. One machine takes the role as a server & the other second system >becomes a client.
This is a possible route, but would still mean wiring some cat5 cable and it would also mean having both computers on for the client to access, which I wanted to avoid.

>HomePNA adaptors
Not heard of these, looks like I'll have to do some more research. Sad

Thanks for the suggestions guys, gives a few more avenues to investigate.
N/A

I'm a great fan of the Draytek Kit, You should be able to get a 2600WE and a wireless card for only a little more than the BT Kit. This is a great bit ' kit. 10/100 ethernet switch and Wireless, built in router, Firewall, VPN etc....

Go on, do it properly, you know you want to :twisted:
N/A

i have an external router (smc barricade) connected to via cat 5 cable to a small cheap d link hub this has 4 ports which i then have connected to three sometimes four pcs around the house/workshop, some running win98 some xp. the beauty of this is that not only can any pc connect to the internet but that data can be shared among pcs and is a quick and easy backup system storing data from one pc onto another,network cards cost £5 s/h from computer fairs, cable next to nothing and the hub was less than £20, which for up to 4 pcs is not bad