cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL vs Dial up ~ Pricing

N/A

ADSL vs Dial up ~ Pricing

The relative cost of ADSL has not been properly explained. On analysing my own usage the current cost of Dial-up is 14p/minute. An equivalent cost on ADSL would be 34p/minute. Given that ADSL is meant to be 10 times faster this shoots up to £3.35/minute. There needs to a proper analysis of the 'Breakeven point of when ADSL become econimc to the user.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL vs Dial up ~ Pricing

My own feeling is this kind of calculation becomes meaningless if you adopt ADSL. My experience is because ADSL is on all the time, and I save nothing be being restrained in my usage, I use it for many hours more per week than I did dial-up. £23 pcm v. how much for dial-up? No question about it in my mind, ADSL is the way to go.
N/A

RE: ADSL vs Dial up ~ Pricing

I spend many hours a week on the net researching and surfing and it is only within the last few months that decided to upgrade to ADSL.

The real advantage is that I now waste very little time attempting to dial up as force 9 appear to be coming a victim of there own success or have no interest in mainting high quality dial up connectivity with ADSL now becoming popular. Also waiting for pages to load and programs to download means that I waste very little valuable time here either.

If you prefer slow connections and unreliable dial up for a slightly cheaper cost then this is the way you should go otherwise as long as ADSL grows in popularity I am sure the costs will come down - I guess the important thing here is that existing customers should benifit from reductions and not only new customers!!!

> The relative cost of ADSL has not been properly explained. On analysing my own usage the current cost of Dial-up is 14p/minute. An equivalent cost on ADSL would be 34p/minute. Given that ADSL is meant to be 10 times faster this shoots up to £3.35/minute. There needs to a proper analysis of the 'Breakeven point of when ADSL become econimc to the user.