cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL only works when the phone is off the hook!

N/A

ADSL only works when the phone is off the hook!

My ADSL connection is now active. However I have difficulty connecting. I have discovered that when I take the phone off the hook it is able to connect and when place the phone back on the hook it is no longer able to connect / synchronise. I am using a AMX-CA64E with the latest firmware and excelsus Z-blocker model Z-420UK filters. I have tried the connection with and without the filters. Is this a problem with my router hardware or something that is not setup right? Could the wiring in the house be bad, I'm using the main box so that should have been done by BT and should work. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Any ideas?
Many thanks

Stefan
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Reply From Ivan

> My ADSL connection is now active. However I have difficulty connecting. I have discovered that when I take the phone off the hook it is able to connect and when place the phone back on the hook it is no longer able to connect / synchronise. I am using a AMX-CA64E with the latest firmware and excelsus Z-blocker model Z-420UK filters. I have tried the connection with and without the filters. Is this a problem with my router hardware or something that is not setup right? Could the wiring in the house be bad, I'm using the main box so that should have been done by BT and should work. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Any ideas?
> Many thanks
>
> Stefan

Hi Stephan,
Its almost certainly a conflict of the two frequencies involved,ADSL uses a high frequency and the voice signal takes a lower frequency (from zero to about 4Hertz)so it sounds to me like the voice signal is stamping all over your ADSL data channel.

The problem is almost certainly with the low pass filter (it sounds like the filter is NOT working, is not able to seperate out the two frequencies).
When the filter is working it should give you a distinct voice channel & a seperate and distinct data channel (which is always on of course!).

Also phone up BT and ask then to check your phone line or balance the line if required, or ask them to turn up the gain on your line. This reduces the line noise. Let me know if this helps. Cheers Ivan

--
N/A

> > My ADSL connection is now active. However I have difficulty connecting. I have discovered that when I take the phone off the hook it is able to connect and when place the phone back on the hook it is no longer able to connect / synchronise. I am using a AMX-CA64E with the latest firmware and excelsus Z-blocker model Z-420UK filters. I have tried the connection with and without the filters. Is this a problem with my router hardware or something that is not setup right? Could the wiring in the house be bad, I'm using the main box so that should have been done by BT and should work. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Any ideas?
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Hi Stephan,
> Its almost certainly a conflict of the two frequencies involved,ADSL uses a high frequency and the voice signal takes a lower frequency (from zero to about 4Hertz)so it sounds to me like the voice signal is stamping all over your ADSL data channel.
>
> The problem is almost certainly with the low pass filter (it sounds like the filter is NOT working, is not able to seperate out the two frequencies).
> When the filter is working it should give you a distinct voice channel & a seperate and distinct data channel (which is always on of course!).
>
> Also phone up BT and ask then to check your phone line or balance the line if required, or ask them to turn up the gain on your line. This reduces the line noise. Let me know if this helps. Cheers Ivan
>
>
> --
>

If i use a splitter without the filter the router still doesn't work until I take the phone off the hook and then i can hear the signal leak into the phone line. Using the filter i can no longer hear this noise. Without the filter the router doesn't seem to be able to connect but actually tries to (as you can hear a little relay switch clicking on and off when it tries), this doesn't happen when the phone is on the hook. So it seems that the router can't detect the phone line until the phone is off the hook with the filter inplace. I will try calling BT see if they can help.

Thanks

Stefan
N/A

> > > My ADSL connection is now active. However I have difficulty connecting. I have discovered that when I take the phone off the hook it is able to connect and when place the phone back on the hook it is no longer able to connect / synchronise. I am using a AMX-CA64E with the latest firmware and excelsus Z-blocker model Z-420UK filters. I have tried the connection with and without the filters. Is this a problem with my router hardware or something that is not setup right? Could the wiring in the house be bad, I'm using the main box so that should have been done by BT and should work. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Any ideas?
> > > Many thanks
> > >
> > > Stefan
> >
> > Hi Stephan,
> > Its almost certainly a conflict of the two frequencies involved,ADSL uses a high frequency and the voice signal takes a lower frequency (from zero to about 4Hertz)so it sounds to me like the voice signal is stamping all over your ADSL data channel.
> >
> > The problem is almost certainly with the low pass filter (it sounds like the filter is NOT working, is not able to seperate out the two frequencies).
> > When the filter is working it should give you a distinct voice channel & a seperate and distinct data channel (which is always on of course!).
> >
> > Also phone up BT and ask then to check your phone line or balance the line if required, or ask them to turn up the gain on your line. This reduces the line noise. Let me know if this helps. Cheers Ivan
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
> If i use a splitter without the filter the router still doesn't work until I take the phone off the hook and then i can hear the signal leak into the phone line. Using the filter i can no longer hear this noise. Without the filter the router doesn't seem to be able to connect but actually tries to (as you can hear a little relay switch clicking on and off when it tries), this doesn't happen when the phone is on the hook. So it seems that the router can't detect the phone line until the phone is off the hook with the filter inplace. I will try calling BT see if they can help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stefan
>

Just called BT and they tested the line and said they can't find any problems. *sigh* Still no insight as to what is causing the problem.
N/A

RE: Reply From Ivan [2] Reply Again!

> > > > My ADSL connection is now active. However I have difficulty connecting. I have discovered that when I take the phone off the hook it is able to connect and when place the phone back on the hook it is no longer able to connect / synchronise. I am using a AMX-CA64E with the latest firmware and excelsus Z-blocker model Z-420UK filters. I have tried the connection with and without the filters. Is this a problem with my router hardware or something that is not setup right? Could the wiring in the house be bad, I'm using the main box so that should have been done by BT and should work. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? Any ideas?
> > > > Many thanks
> > > >
> > > > Stefan
> > >
> > > Hi Stephan,
> > > Its almost certainly a conflict of the two frequencies involved,ADSL uses a high frequency and the voice signal takes a lower frequency (from zero to about 4Hertz)so it sounds to me like the voice signal is stamping all over your ADSL data channel.
> > >
> > > The problem is almost certainly with the low pass filter (it sounds like the filter is NOT working, is not able to seperate out the two frequencies).
> > > When the filter is working it should give you a distinct voice channel & a seperate and distinct data channel (which is always on of course!).
> > >
> > > Also phone up BT and ask then to check your phone line or balance the line if required, or ask them to turn up the gain on your line. This reduces the line noise. Let me know if this helps. Cheers Ivan
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> >
> > If i use a splitter without the filter the router still doesn't work until I take the phone off the hook and then i can hear the signal leak into the phone line. Using the filter i can no longer hear this noise. Without the filter the router doesn't seem to be able to connect but actually tries to (as you can hear a little relay switch clicking on and off when it tries), this doesn't happen when the phone is on the hook. So it seems that the router can't detect the phone line until the phone is off the hook with the filter inplace. I will try calling BT see if they can help.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Stefan
> >
>
> Just called BT and they tested the line and said they can't find any problems. *sigh* Still no insight as to what is causing the problem.

>Stepan,
I still think you have more than one problem going on here,1)a low pass filter problem 2)router configuration problem. Can you send me a drawing or image of how you have your devices connected (if you can show me how you have things connected then I might get a better idea of whats happening)mail me an image say .bmp file if you can and I'll give it some further thought! Cheers Ivan

--
N/A

Have you tried with all the other telecom devices on the line removed (telephones, sky digibox, fax etc). It is possible one of these is sending some bad signals down the line.
--
N/A

> Have you tried with all the other telecom devices on the line removed (telephones, sky digibox, fax etc). It is possible one of these is sending some bad signals down the line.
>
> --
>
I have tried without any other equipement attatched. The only device i cannot remove is an old black box that wired into the main box. This looks like a 'unit' counter and has an old 'British Telecom' logo (i.e. it predates the 'BT' logo / privitisation) and since BT have stopped charging for units this box doesn't do anything anymore. Since it is the only device i cannot remove to troubleshoot my line I'll have to arrange for an BT engineer to take the offending item away and hopefully all my problems with it. Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Stefan