cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL line activation time?

re-create-it
Grafter

I am planning on upgrading my account to ADSL once I move house tomorrow. The phone goes live around noon and after than I would like to apply for ADSL.

Any clues as to how long it takes from request to the line 'going live' for ADSL - does this include weekends?

Basically, if I upgrade tomorrow, when can I go shopping for the kit?! :?: Cheesy
5 REPLIES
N/A

I think they send you an email, or notify you in some way, that your line is acceptable for ADSL. At that point, you can acquire and install the kit knowing it's unlikely that your line won't be activated. If I remember correctly, it was about nine days (total elapsed time, including weekends) after that when I was told it was ready and the final bit could be done straight away (ie billing to commence from then), giving a total elapsed time of a couple of weeks. The equipment had actually synchronised a couple of days before that (green flashing light stopped flashing and stayed on permanently).
re-create-it
Grafter

Cheers for the info - just can't wait 9 days :x :?

Spose I will have to - got the mail saying that my account is subject to the line tests but I am itching to get the kit bought so might be rash...

Since my mate, who lives 800 yards away, also has ADSL I think it is unlikely to fail. If I buy the kit on my credit card I can always return it. Or have the most expensive hub ever!
N/A

don't bank on it

just because you're neighbours got it doesn't mean you can have it

i've been fighting now for over 2 years to get adsl, my friend has got it and he lives about 200yds from me, his line comes from the next telegraph pole further down the link than me, but he can have it at 60db but I can't.

so complaint is in with oftel at moment

but hope you do get and good luck

ps I think when buying a house they should state now if the premises have adsl or broadband access.
N/A

I got it over a year ago and it took about 10 days...but you can track the entire process via the F9 customer area.
re-create-it
Grafter

Waited and waited and it was finally activated (ooh- that rhymes). Applied Friday - got it the Tuesday after the following Friday which, on my fingers, makes it the 11th day.

Took the plunge and bough the wireless kit anyway and had plenty of time to get that configured without the distraction of things to do on the web.

Typically, I was away on business on the day it was activated so the wait extentded by another 5 until I got home to try the connection.

Fortunately my install of the hardware was good and everything just ran - no need for long distance phone support to get my girlfriend on the web!