cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL keeps dropping since upgrade to 2mb - HELP

N/A

Sad Hi
My friend has this problem, but cant stay on line long enough to find the answer. SInce the upgrade to 2mb from 512, the connection is broken about every 3 minutes. Sometimes it will reconnect, sometimes it won't. We have had the BT Wholesale page and various errors. The system is running like treacle and I'm an amature out of ideas. I live 7 miles away on a different telephone exchange and no problems at my end. Anyone else had this problem. Any ideas please!!
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi fowleronline

First of all, have you or a friend been in contact with f9 about this problem, ie have you gone throw the standard set of questions.

If so, have you tried a differnet router/modem on the same line. The reason i ask is i had a old netgear router, its says it could support upto 8mb/sec, however when i upgrade, it drop sync every 30 secs - 1min!

I went out and bought a new router, and everything has been fine since!

I have pasted the standard set of questions below:

1. Does the loss of connection occur only at certain times of the day or is it continuous? (If only at certain times, please state the time.)

2. How long has the problem been occurring for, when did it start?

3. What are you doing at the time of the fault? (e.g. downloading large files/Does it only drop when idle?)

4. When the connection drops is sync lost on the modem/router?(i.e does the ADSL link light start flashing or does remain solid green)

5. Do you have any other equipment on the line that may affect service, such as a fax machine?

6. Is the telephone line noisy at all (ie is there crackle / hiss / background noise) when making a normal phonecall when the phone is plugged into a microfilter/splitter into the main socket without the adsl equipment connected ? If there is please ask BT to check your phoneline itself.
If you dial 150 and use the automated menu system then a check can be automatically done to ensure that your PSTN line is in good working order. It is always advisable to do this check before continuing with a broadband fault , even if the line is not noisy, as a working broadband service relies on a working PSTN service and if there is a problem with the PSTN then this will have to be fixed first before the broadband fault can be investigated.

7. Have you tried the connection with *ONLY* the ADSL equipment plugged directly into the mastersocket through a microfilter/splitter and no other things plugged into any other extension sockets in the house/premises. Please note that this test is *VERY IMPORTANT* as it removes the chances of the problem being with internal wiring or other faulty equipment (phones (including cordless ones), faxes, skyboxes etc) being the cause of the problem. We can appreciate that this can be inconvenient but a lot of faults are caused by this. This is especially important for accounts that have never worked or if you have installed any other equipment which plugs into the phoneline.

8. Has the modem/router been changed ?

9. Has the microfilter been changed to prove if it is a problem ?

Talk soon. J.
N/A

Hi
Yes he has been in touch with yourselves and he tells me he has filled in the replies you requested. Good idea about the modem - I have an old one I can try, but as with you I don't know what it is rated at. The modem they use was supplied by you when they first moved to broadband some time ago. Is it possible to drop the line back to 1mb or even 512 to see if it resolves the problem! - or send them a modem to try!! They have no issues with any other equipment and their house is quite new - BT have tested the line and it is fine.
Thanks
Martin
N/A

When BB came out most devices were capable of 8mb download stream.

I don't think F9 will just send you a modem to try.

ukfmonline is a moderator and doesn't work for F9.

some ways of checking your connection

1) unplug kit from adsl socket for approx 30mins to allow for a decent reset, and during this time power off your router

2) try connecting to the bt test login (bt_test@startup.domain) i think its that, can't remember

3) try plugging router directly to master socket, without the filters and without any other phones connected.

4) try the original F9 modem

5) try different cable from modem/router to bt socket

6) update firmware on router

7) if using network only connect 1 machine at a time to see if it could be a pc causing the fault

mike
N/A

It may be that the line is on the edge of the requirements for 2MB. I have seen in groups before where the 2MB upgrade has made the line so unstable as to make it unusable. You may find that it will get dropped back to 1MB to resolve the problem.

You could also raise a ticket and ask F9 to carry out a whoosh test which should give you an indication of your line stats if your modem/ router doesn't provide any.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Thanks Mike/Mark
I have put my old modem (I now use a wireless router) onto his line and it seems to be working much better - we can't say it is cured yet, but some degree of normality has returned.
It may be that his modem cannot deal with a 2mb stream and mine can (even if it is at its limit). He has now been able to try some of the suggestions made above and I think it is putting us back on the "road to recovery".
The original modem provided by F9 was a Bainatone (I dont know what model) and he is now using my SpeedTouch 330. I don't know what the limits of these units are, but one other option is to invest in a newer modem designed for the higher mbs of modern boadband lines.
I'll let you know how we get on - thanks again
Martin
N/A

Thanks Mike/Mark
I have put my old modem (I now use a wireless router) onto his line and it seems to be working much better - we can't say it is cured yet, but some degree of normality has returned.
It may be that his modem cannot deal with a 2mb stream and mine can (even if it is at its limit). He has now been able to try some of the suggestions made above and I think it is putting us back on the "road to recovery".
The original modem provided by F9 was a Bainatone (I dont know what model) and he is now using my SpeedTouch 330. I don't know what the limits of these units are, but one other option is to invest in a newer modem designed for the higher mbs of modern boadband lines.
I'll let you know how we get on - thanks again
Martin

Hi,

I could not belive it that my old router was not able to work, it said on the website it could do upto 8 mb or 16 mb, cant remember now, was over 6 months ago. I had bt out and everything because i thought it must be the line!

I had to buy a new router, so i went for the netgear dg834, not had a problem since.

Jeremy.
N/A

I still have the F9 supplied Binatone ADSL500 modem which works fine for me. It was suggested when I first took up ADSL that a better router may be required as I was right on the edge of limits. I am aware that some routers handle the noise made on the line better than others, but as I can only just get 1MB, it is not a problem for me at the moment.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Thanks folks,
Things are looking up - the Speedtouch 330 seems to be handling the 2mb line - I think the Binatone just can't handle that sort of flow. I'm going to put SP2 on his system, defrag it and do a registry cleanup - that should address the other symptoms that were a bit of a red herring. The 330 is a bit old and was free to me with my first ISP (pipex). It may be that we have to buy something more up to the job than that, but I am quite satisfied now that it is mainly a hardware issue.
Phew - the price of progress.
Martin
N/A

Thanks folks,
Things are looking up - the Speedtouch 330 seems to be handling the 2mb line - I think the Binatone just can't handle that sort of flow. I'm going to put SP2 on his system, defrag it and do a registry cleanup - that should address the other symptoms that were a bit of a red herring. The 330 is a bit old and was free to me with my first ISP (pipex). It may be that we have to buy something more up to the job than that, but I am quite satisfied now that it is mainly a hardware issue.
Phew - the price of progress.
Martin

Hi.

Good to know we can help! - Cheers!