cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL dropping out

N/A

ADSL dropping out

I have had fall out problems this last two or three weeks, Access Runner going off line then trying to reconnect. Today has been the worst yet as it has been dropping out regularly every few minutes in the last two hours. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the connection, responce (synchroniisation) or the modem which is failing?
Sunday 30 March 2003
--
Walter
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL dropping out

Hi Walter,

This sounds like a problem of losing synchronization with your exchange. If you take look at the forums for other ISPs at www.adslguide.org.uk you will see that customers from all ISPs report this problem from time to time. That site is a good resource, and combined with their search tool you may be able to find a solution for you.

A fundamental problem here is that as an ISP we don't have control of the ADSL connection until it has been converted to data and passed to us on fibre from BT. There is a diagram of this on our website here (Although this is a little out of date):

http://portal.free-online.net/general/network_ADSL.html

All we have is a set of fibres connecting our network to that of BT's. This makes it very hard to diagnose problems in relation to disconnections as the actual hardware responsible for the physical connection is owned and managed by BT wholesale.

From personal experience, this problem is rarely a fault at the exchange itself, but can be caused by a number of other things, such as:

Noise on your line.
Incorrectly installed, or faulty splitters.
An underpowered USB or PCI Modem.
A faulty or mis-configured router or modem (Especially in relation to the encapsulation mode chosen).
Analogue cordless telephones or other devices (I know of a fax machine which was responsible for this).

The first stages in diagnosing any problem like this is to rule out all of the above, normally by trial and error.

As I said at the top, diagnosing this from our side can be difficult. While we could log these faults to BT immediately, there is a risk in doing this until we are sure of a fault. If BT do send out an engineer, and the problem turns out to be caused past the master socket in your house, then you are likely to be charged an "Abortive Callout Charge" by BT. That doesn't mean we won't log it, but I hope its clear why we like to be sure before we do so.

We are here for you should you need any assistance or advice, I'm just sorry that the particular fault you are experiencing is such a difficult one to work with.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Walter,
I used to have this problem with the 'Accessrunner' PCI setup.
Firstly, it was fine at my old house. Then I moved and everything was fine, then it started - ding - ding - ding - connecting / disconnecting.
It always seemed to happen in the evenings. Sometimes I wouldn't see the problem for about a month, then it would happen everynight for a week.
I tried all sorts of different things to cure it, but to no avail. The problem has now gone away since I put the modem in another (rather old) PC that I am using as a gateway.
I know other people have seen this problem - one favourite fix is to move the modem to another slot in the PC.
Checkout the forums at the following websites for more help:
www.themad-house.co.uk
www.adslguide.org
N/A

Thanks for your reply Ian, I know it's easy to blame everything but I can appreciate the problem is this end. Yes, it is the sychronisation problem. After working very succesfuly for the last 3 months maybe some of the suggestions would have shown up earlier. My suspicion is certainly the PCI part of the system. Is there any data that is logged that can give an indication, or is there any software that can test the modem?

> Incorrectly installed, or faulty splitters<

I have had filter problems in the past and changed to another yesterday.

Lots of good info here www.adslguide.org.uk which I have noted before
> Noise on your line. <

I have not seen any interpretation of the figures given in Access Runner re line noise, but I have had a boost on the line from the beginning, thanks BT.

> An underpowered USB or PCI Modem.

The PCI modem is in a new motherboard 350W powersupply.

> A faulty or mis-configured router or modem (Especially in relation to the encapsulation mode chosen).
Nothing has changed on my system. I am using 'PPP over ATM(RFC2364), G.dmt. When normal everything works fine.

> Analogue cordless telephones >

This was not in operation during my problems.

Regards.

--
Walter
N/A

Thanks for your help Bob,
> The problem has now gone away since I put the modem in another (rather old) PC that I am using as a gateway.<

I think you seem to be running the Gateway as a separate 'Server' which may have lots of advantages. It is something I would like it 'gen' up on. What speed is the gateway computer? Does need to be very fast ansd does it need much in the way of memory/HD ?

> I know other people have seen this problem - one favourite fix is to move the modem to another slot in the PC.

I noted that on the help site, I'll give this a try when I next get the screwdriver out and the back off, but at present I am in the 4th and lowest slot. No 3 is free, a dial up modem in 2nd, and a TV card in 1st (where it is recommended.)

Thanks for the references;-
> www.themad-house.co.uk
> www.adslguide.org

Regards,

Roll eyes
--
Walter
N/A

I think you seem to be running the Gateway as a separate 'Server' which may have lots of advantages. It is something I would like it 'gen' up on. What speed is the gateway computer? Does need to be very fast ansd does it need much in the way of memory/HD?

I'm using a AMD K7 500 Mhz with a tiny 2gig HD and 128k memory running Win XP. It's got a network card in that goes to a cheap (£25?) 4 port hub that has 3 PCs connected to it that all access the internet.
Basically it's an old PC that someone was throwing out!