cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL connexion problems - tearing my hair out!

N/A

ADSL connexion problems - tearing my hair out!

Just got RADSL from Force9, activated just over a week ago, recieved start-up pack last Thursday. Telephone lead not long enough - no problem, I got an extension. Bigger problem: ADSL will not stay connected >10 seconds if Sky digibox (Grundig) is connected to the phone line in any way. Not if it is before the (unbranded) microfilter, not if it's in the voice channel (as recommended). It does synch almost immediately after the Sky connexion is removed from the equation!

After numerous calls to F9 tech support (creating a rapidly rising phone bill) and many Contact Us tickets, I have been passed from pillar to post, and back again:

First I was told that I have my devices connected in the wrong order; tried that, not it.
I was then informed that the F9 service is incompatible with a Sky digibox line connexion, and that this was explicitly stated on the website (can't find it!). To this end, I have contacted Grundig whom tell me that their equipment cannot cause this problem, and found a few other ADSL ISPs whom advertise their services as OK with Sky.
Then, it was hinted that it could be a problem with my BT line and was assured that it would be passed to BT to check; nothing seems to have come of this.
Finally, I have been told that it is 'probably' an issue with the microfilters that I have ( = was SUPPLIED with); and these fora are my almost last resort.

Come on, I can't be the only person in the world with a Grundig Sky digibox, an ADSL connexion and a problem!

If anyone can help, please reply with advice/solutions and equipment details.

Thank you,

John.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL connexion problems - tearing my hair out!

> Just got RADSL from Force9, activated just over a week ago, recieved start-up pack last Thursday. Telephone lead not long enough - no problem, I got an extension. Bigger problem: ADSL will not stay connected >10 seconds if Sky digibox (Grundig) is connected to the phone line in any way. Not if it is before the (unbranded) microfilter, not if it's in the voice channel (as recommended). It does synch almost immediately after the Sky connexion is removed from the equation!
>
> After numerous calls to F9 tech support (creating a rapidly rising phone bill) and many Contact Us tickets, I have been passed from pillar to post, and back again:
>
> First I was told that I have my devices connected in the wrong order; tried that, not it.
> I was then informed that the F9 service is incompatible with a Sky digibox line connexion, and that this was explicitly stated on the website (can't find it!). To this end, I have contacted Grundig whom tell me that their equipment cannot cause this problem, and found a few other ADSL ISPs whom advertise their services as OK with Sky.
> Then, it was hinted that it could be a problem with my BT line and was assured that it would be passed to BT to check; nothing seems to have come of this.
> Finally, I have been told that it is 'probably' an issue with the microfilters that I have ( = was SUPPLIED with); and these fora are my almost last resort.
>
> Come on, I can't be the only person in the world with a Grundig Sky digibox, an ADSL connexion and a problem!
>
> If anyone can help, please reply with advice/solutions and equipment details.
>
> Thank you,
>
> John.

Hi John,
I hope you haven't gone bald yet!! but seriously it sounds from what you've described that the sky digi box using the voice channel is stamping all over the ADSL's data channel. If the sky box is supposed to use the voice frequency then it seems to me that whats happening here is that the 3 frequencies are not being kept seperate from each other. 2)Its usually the job of the microfilter to seperate the channels (so I would suggest that a least you should try another microfilter,it might be you've got a duff one?). 3)Contact BT and tell them whats happening and have them test & balance you line 4)ask them to increase the "Gain"on your line if required this might help too.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: ADSL connexion problems - tearing my hair out!

To this end, I have contacted Grundig whom tell me that their equipment cannot cause this problem, and found a few other ADSL ISPs whom advertise their services as OK with Sky.

I have seen just that type of thing happen with a sky box. I didn't have ADSL but when it was plugged in all sorts of problems occured on the phones. Unplugging it sorted them. Eventually Sky diagnosed a faulty modem in the box and replaced it. Never had a problem since.

Can you get hold of another digibox to try on your line. If another one owrks then the box is at fault, if not then we need to look elsewhere